First harvest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KWPR

Still learning
Reaction score
We have 70 Syrah grapevines planted in our backyard and got our first harvest this year. Only 46 of the 70 vines had grapes which I'm not too worried about since it's only the third leaf.
My concern is that the juice tasted really good on crush day but yesterday when we pressed it tasted sort of awful. Not awful as in spoiled but more of a puckering mouth feel and no grape flavor. Is this expected?

We have 70 Syrah grapevines planted in our backyard and got our first harvest this year. Only 46 of the 70 vines had grapes which I'm not too worried about since it's only the third leaf.
My concern is that the juice tasted really good on crush day but yesterday when we pressed it tasted sort of awful. Not awful as in spoiled but more of a puckering mouth feel and no grape flavor. Is this expected?
At crush you are tasting the 25% sugar. Now that the sugar is alcohol and other flavors, including what you pressed out of the skins, you have the making of wine. Not to worry, rack, MLF, rack, sulfite, store for a year and you will see how time does magical things with wine.

Latest posts

Back