First Batches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyHut

Junior
Reaction score
I started my FIRST 1 gal batch from Welches Concentrate - it is in day 2 i guess as i started it late Thursday. I used 3 cans of frozen concentrate and added less water than (my secondary is a liter) and have it in a Primary that is SST. i also only added 1/2 cup sugar to bring SG up to 1.095 (hoping for a dryer wine). I used EC1118 and started the yeast first in mix of my juice and water\sugar and added it to the juice. Looked good last night when i checked and slowly stirred it. (took a pic for future ref) - my room temp is 72-73F. How long (i have hydrometer) should i leave the must in the Primary?
I want to start another batch, this time mixing 32oz of Black Cherry Juice and two cans of Welches concentrate to make 1 gal. My question is can i use a 4L glass jug as the primary (leave it a bit short on the water) and then siphon it to another 4L jug and airlock for the secondary? My other option is to wait until i siphon off the first batch then use the SST Primary i have.

Seems a little light to me. This is the recipe that I use.

Welch's Grape Juice Wine 3

This is an easy recipe that turns out well, at about 14% alcohol and is full bodied.

Welch’s bottled grape juice. Added into a one-gallon jug:

96 oz of Welch’s concord grape juice. Frozen canned is fine as per can instructions.

2 cup sugar

2 tsp. acid blend(optional)

1 tsp pectic enzyme(optional)

1 tsp. yeast nutrient(optional)

Water to fill to within 2”

1 packet of EC-1118 yeast

Add Welch’s concord grape juice to one-gallon bottle. Add remaining ingredients (I do recommend adding the optional ingredients if you have them. If not, Ok) except yeast. Take the Specific Gravity and record it. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and place an airlock. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fill remainder of gallon jug with water, stir and fit an airlock. When clear, add crushed campden tablet and ½ tsp. potassium sorbate, rack into afresh jug, leaving the gross lees and top off with juice (apple or grape works), refit airlock. After additional 30 days, sweeten if desired, then rack into bottles, avoiding disturbance of any lees. Discard the lees. Makes five .750-liter bottles of decent red table wine.

I have tried this recipe and it does turn out nice.

On you second batch , leave three inches of air space at the top of the primary. Rack when you see fermentation slowed. Leave the gross lees. Syphon into a clean sanitary jug and top up with water or similar wine to within a couple of inches. Add an airlock and wait til it clears. at least a month.

Last edited:
to specifically answer your question. leave the wine in the primary until the specific gravity reaches 1.020 or less. then siphon to another vessel, and put under airlock. wine is complete once specific gravity is .998-.995. with regard to second question, yes you can use the 4l jug for fermentation, do not need an airlock in beginning just cover with a cloth, or if a jug fashion a stopper from paper towel. once numbers are per above move to secondary and airlock.

Donatelo,
Thanks for getting back to me!

With the 3 cans and water to 1gal the SG was 1.085 with the 1/2 cup sugar it was 1.095 - Wouldn't more sugar have made it sweet? Newbie -excuse me if its a dumb question.

2nd batch
I thought that an air lock on the Primary slows fermentation? should i leave it open for the first few days?

Randy

to specifically answer your question. leave the wine in the primary until the specific gravity reaches 1.020 or less. then siphon to another vessel, and put under airlock. wine is complete once specific gravity is .998-.995. with regard to second question, yes you can use the 4l jug for fermentation, do not need an airlock in beginning just cover with a cloth, or if a jug fashion a stopper from paper towel. once numbers are per above move to secondary and airlock.
Salcoco,
Thanks!
Randy

Adding more sugar during primary fermentation does not make the wine sweeter, it increases the alchohol content. However, with the specific gravity already at 1.095, I wouldn't add any more sugar. Donatelo's recipe uses grape juice while you used 3 cans of frozen concentrate which has a higher sugar content. That's why your specific gravity is already where it should be.

Adding more sugar during primary fermentation does not make the wine sweeter, it increases the alchohol content. However, with the specific gravity already at 1.095, I wouldn't add any more sugar. Donatelo's recipe uses grape juice while you used 3 cans of frozen concentrate which has a higher sugar content. That's why your specific gravity is already where it should be.
Thanks Rustbucket!

I think i will start my 2nd batch this eve 2cans Welches 32 oz Black Cherry Juice

Randy

My first batch had no foam covering it this morning, 4 days in the Primary, the process had slowed from yesterday. i siphoned it off into a secondary and added an airlock. i forgot to take a hydrometer reading. (so much to remember).
My second batch is foaming away in a 4L glass jug. (2 days in the primary)

Potassium Metabisulphate - When mixed as a sanitizer - how long will it last?

Back