First Batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first post and first serious try at winemaking.

I have a 3 gallon batch of muscadine wine started and invite your comments. Please view the attached wine log and recipe. The fermentation seems to have stopped much sooner than I anticipated, but the SG suggests that no sugar is remaining. Wine tastes pretty tart, but sweetening the sample helped a lot. I have not been very satisfied that I obtained an accurate acid measurement, but tried several times. Seems to be 7.2 with starting SG 1.102 and current SG 0.994.

Thanks,
MuskyDine

View attachment MuskyDine_First_Batch.pdf

View attachment MuskyDine Muscadine Wine.pdf

That's a pretty high SG...and the .994 really does indicate that all the sugar is used up. If the juice was in a warm area though, that would have sped up the ferm. process. Whenever possible, I try to keep the whites cool during ferm (garage or basement in fall is nice)...slower ferm preserves fruity flavors of the orig. juice. No danger in the extra time either...

Mark

The fermentation took place in an area normally kept between 73 and 76 degrees. Is that too high?

What would be the problem with the initial SG at 1.102?

Thanks,
MuskyDine

Beginning SG was not a problem at all...usually I see around 1.090...what's the problem with a little more alcohol, right? :>)

As far as temp goes, cooler the better. No damage to the wine, but remember, the juice heats up during fermentation too just from the yeast activity. I have read and experienced that the wines show more complexity if fermented more slowly. The heat will not damage the wine though. I'm lucky to live far enough north to use "mother nature" for my cooling...55-60 degrees is what it's like here in sept and oct. Too cold though, and the fermentation stops and you gotta warm the juice back up again to "jump start". Keep me posted on your progress

Mark

Back