first batch of skeeter pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntva89

Junior
Reaction score
I am in the process of making my very first batch of skeeter pee using slurry from my blueberry wine. I added the slurry and all after I had added the tannin, nutrient, energizer and let set for a couple days. Sg was right on the money at 1070. I added the slurry and it has been 2 days and all I'll see is an occasional bubble or two. At what point should I be concerned its not going to ferment? Any suggestions on how to kick start it if I can save it? It smells awesome even if it hasn't done anything yet.

i have never used slurry, you could always open a packet of yeast and sprinkle on top, that should kick start it...
some one that uses slurry will respond..i am sure.

Get your temp. up to about 75 degrees or so. Stir the heck out of it. It likes lots of oxygen, expecially at the start. It will most likely take off shortly. Arne.

I have never used the "slurry method" either. Yeast is too cheap not to just use it from the get go. Not following why slurry is used other than to add a little flavor, which I assume is going to be fermented out anyway. Backsweeten or flavor at the end.

Thanks for the quick responses. I currently have it in glass carboy should I transfer back to larger fermentation "bucket" in order to whip in some oxygen?

I would leave it in the bucket until you get fermentation started and moving along pretty well. Easier to get air into that bucket.

back to the bucket, yes....
i know lot of folks dont, but I fast track all my wines..so i leave in primary until it is done fermenting...PERIOD

I quit using yeast nutrient..I use grape nuts instead.
I double up my pectin enzyme on every fruit wine..to help in clearing
and reducing the chance for pectin haze.

I started my Dragon Blood on Friday with a slurry from Welch's concentrate wine. I threw the first ingredients in, let them sit for 12 hrs and then pitched the slurry. By the next morning it was working so hard it looked like it was boiling. On the other hand, I made Skeeter Pee with just a yeast pack and ended up needing to pitch a second one. The slurry seemed to work much better for me.

i have never made skeeter pee, and i am not. I dont like lemon much.
but dragon blood...it always comes out perfect.
Once you drink your dragon blood...it will be hard to make anything else.

What is "dragon blood"? As of right now I smell both blueberry and lemon. With the blueberry slurry it obviously looks more like blood than pee.

I have lemon zest (2 lemons worth) sitting in a jar of Blue Raspberry vodka to add to my Pee at the end. I think that will add a really nice flavor! This is my first Pee batch also, but I couldn't help but to modify it. I'm thinking I might bottle 1 gal regular and add the blue raspberry to the 2nd gallon. (Only have 3 empty 1gal jugs at the moment so I could only make 2 gallons)

What is "dragon blood"? As of right now I smell both blueberry and lemon. With the blueberry slurry it obviously looks more like blood than pee.

Its Pee made with 6lbs of frozen/thawed mixed berries.

Once you transfer it to secondary, I would recomend you start another batch. You will probably find it doesn't last very long at all. Poof, its gone and now I am down to watching the primary work again. LOL, Arne.

I might be making another batch anyway I am starting to wonder if it's going to get going.

I might be making another batch anyway I am starting to wonder if it's going to get going.

Give it a stir 2x a day. Don't seal the lid on the bucket, just set it there or cover with a cheese cloth. The pee can sometimes take 2-3 days to get started due to all the acid from the lemon.

I sure hope that's all it is. I will surely be disappointed if it doesn't go. I got a beach trip coming up mid august and would sure like to have some by then.

It's finally going...looks like someone lit a fire under it. Do you all recommend continuing stirring twice daily while it's in the primary and until it's time to move it to the secondary?

It's finally going...looks like someone lit a fire under it. Do you all recommend continuing stirring twice daily while it's in the primary and until it's time to move it to the secondary?

The last 3 days mine has been sitting at 1.052 with no change. Was going to make adjustments tomorrow but I got home from work and its really going now. Ill check the SG in the morning.

Latest posts

Back