First Batch of Cherry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Port

Reaction score
Hi everyone.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I originally wanted to make an orange wine to start with but am unable to find any good oranges at the market just yet so I decided on a cherry wine with frozen tart cherries. Here is the recipe I used. I actually bought 9 lbs of cherries so I made a batch and a half.

<TABLE =MsonormalTable style="WIDTH: 100%; mso-cellspacing: .6pt; mso-padding-alt: .6pt .6pt .6pt .6pt" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
<T>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes">
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.6pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.6pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.6pt; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-TOP: 0.6pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; : transparent">
9 lbs. Cherries</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.6pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.6pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.6pt; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-TOP: 0.6pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; : transparent">
10 Pints Water</TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 1">
3-1/2 lbs. Sugar</TD>
2-1/4 tsp Acid Blend</TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 2">
1-1/8 tsp Pectic Enzyme</TD>
1 Campden, crush</TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 3">
1 Pkg Wine Yeast</TD>
1-1/2 tsp Yeast Nutrient</TD></TR>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 4; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes">
</TD>
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Directions:

1. <LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Wash and drain the cherries. Remove stems, leaves and pits. Using nylon straining bag (or press), mash and strain juice into primary fermenter. Keeping all pulp in straining bag, tie top and place in primary. </LI>
    <LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Stir in all other ingredients EXCEPT yeast. Cover primary. </LI>
    <LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">After 12 hrs., add yeast . (temp should be 75*-80*F) Cover primary. </LI>
    <LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Stir daily, check hydrometer reading (S.G.) and press pulp lightly to aid extraction. </LI>
    <LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">When ferment reaches S.G. 1.030 (about 5 days) strain juice from bag. Siphon off sediment into clean secondary. Attach lock. </LI>
    <LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">When S.G. reaches 1.000 (usually about 3 weeks), fermentation is complete. Siphon juice off sediment into clean glass container. Re-attach airlock. </LI>
    <LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">To aid in clearing, siphon again in 2 months and again, if necessary, before bottling. </LI>
    <DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0.25in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1.5pt solid; mso-element: para-border-div">
    <LI =Msonormal style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.25in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 1.0pt 0in; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext 1.5pt">Allow the wine to age. </LI>
I added enough sugar to get the O.G. up to 1.092 last night. This morning it was down to 1.085 and the temp was about the same (75*) for both measurements. I adjusted the T.A. to .55%. This morning I pitched the yeast (Latvin EC-1118) and am waiting for some action. I will get some pictures as the process goes along. I tasted it this morning before pitching the yeast and can only hope some of that flavor remains because it tasted great! If you have any comments I would love to hear them, as you know, this is my first batch so any and all critiques will be welcome. I am already looking forward to getting this batch out of my primary so I can start something else. Any suggestions on a must do next batch?

My wife wanted to make a cherry wine, but we could not find any cherries. Any idea where I can get some at?

Steve said:
My wife wanted to make a cherry wine, but we could not find any cherries. Any idea where I can get some at?

I found 1.5 pound bags of individually flash frozen cherries in the freezer section at my local grocery store, they were pitted and everything. George also has solid pack fruit bases in their natural juices. http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDet.asp?PartNumber=3310

Looks like a good recipe Port. I have never tried a Cherry wine but it sounds luscious. Are you going to finish it sweet or dry it out totally?

That's a very good question. I have had a few different Michigan Cherry wines and tend to like them on the sweeter side. I will probably finish it dry and then sweeten to taste.

Hi Port, Recipe looks good . I have 2 Ques. What kind of yeast are you going to use? and what is your Starting SG? I have5 gal Cherry bulk aging now and will filter soon. I used Montrachet yeast for mine.

Bill

Hey all, it's picture time.

2005-11-30_174653_CIMG2122-1.JPG

This is everything mixed together. The color looked kind of weak at this point. O.G. after mixing everything together was 1.090 and T.A. was .55%

2005-11-30_174739_CIMG2123-3.JPG

This is 12 hours after pitching Latvin EC-1118. Already starting to get some action.

2005-11-30_174926_CIMG2124-4.JPG

Here we are just over 36 hours after pitching the yeast and the S.G. is at 1.048... does that seem like a fast drop in S.G.?? Room temp has been a consistant 73 Deg. F. Looks like I will be racking to the secondary in another day or so. Also, the color has turned to a nice deep red, can't wait to see it in the carboy.

I know. It's my first batch and I figure if I screwed it up it's only a gallon and a half to pour down the drain. I will be kicking myself it this turns out good.

Never pour a wine down the drain until a large group of people who know about making wine tell you it is ruined.
smiley19.gif
I have learned of people who didn't wait for advice and tossed wine that would have been perfectly good had they been patient and awaited advice. But this can just be a great lesson. If you're going to make the mess you may as well make a big mess!
smiley36.gif

Okay, got home from work tonight and the S.G. was 1.010 so I racked to the carboys. Much to my surprise I had enough to fill two gallons. They are currently in the sink foaming over, how long should that last? Also, what should it smell like and taste like at this point?I can taste a nice cherry flavor but it also has an odd taste? <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

The wine had been in the carboy for about 10 minutes and you could already see the lees settling to the bottom.

2005-12-01_160019_CIMG2125-5.JPG

Oh man! That looks like what we were up against last night with the choke cherry! Lees settling that fast is cool, isn't it? Our air locks are still going like crazy after we racked last night. It will go like that I think for at least a few more days. Do you have air locks on your carboys in the sink? I find it very hard to be patient when the wines are so excited! My son was examining them tonight and we decided they were like lava lamps!
smiley16.gif

I did end up putting the air locks on andlet it blow through for a while till it settled down. Then I cleaned and re-sanitized the air locks and bungs and put them away. After 10 hours I am still getting a bubble every couple seconds!

I have spent many a fine hour watching the bubbles go up the carboy and
into the airlock. Keeps me out of trouble.

Well S.G. has hit .990 so I guess it's done and needs to spend some time clearing. What are the strange smell's or tastes possible at this point. My fiencee said she can taste something like vinegar....what does that mean??

time will tell...you might have to tweak it at the end...sweetening, or something...just wait awhile longer.

This is where patience becomes the most important aspect of this one batch.
Fermentation went relatively quickly, now it is time to wait the required
intervals between rackings - and it gets d*** difficult! No way you can judge
the final flavor by what you perceive now - just wait
smiley1.gif

Back