First batch of apple done

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CajunTim

Reaction score
I have now finished the apple wine and bottled it. This is a picture of the finished creation. It was an awesome experience and one I hope to repeat many times over. I want to thank all of you fellow wine makers that helped me during the process. Your answers to my questions were very much appreciated. As for as the wine goes, it taste sooo good. Had ½ a bottle left over and let my daughters try it out. They loved it and wanted to open another bottle the next day. Will wait a few months and try another bottle. This is one I will definitely be making 5 or 6 gal next time.

20070220_102842_a7.JPG
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Nice rich color! Im glad you liked it so much. Was it hard to clear? Mine twas a bear to clear!

Great lookin wine and packaging Cajun...I know you are proud of it

You'll have to post your recipe some time Tim, that is about the best color on an apple wine I have ever seen, Good job!
smiley32.gif

How did you get the corks in those wide top bottles in the back in the picture above? I know a hand corker won't do them, will a floor corker I wonder?

Very nice Tim. Very nice label. Great job
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

I really enjoyed it!<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Wade…. This one cleared very fast. It only took about 30 days from the time I started the must.

Jobe…..I did use a hand corker. It was a double lever hand corker and it has a wide bottom that fits on the wide tops or the narrow ones. It worked great on these bottles, the corks just slid right in with no problem.

I used the recipe from Jack Keller… for organic apple juice in the glass gallon jug, and followed it to a tee. I did add one can of apple concentrate to back sweeten. The only thing I would do deferent &lt;now that I know that the starting SG has an outcome one the ABV at the end&gt; is not add as much sugar the he called for. My ABV came out to be 15%. Will shut for the 12%-13% range next time.

Great looking wine Cajun. I've got 6 gallons I've got to get bottled. I filtered and back sweetened a couple nights ago. I'll give it a couple more days to ensure that it doesn't start fermenting again. I'll be bottling citrus melomel, blueberry melomel, concord grape, strawberry rhubarb and raspberry at the same time also. I'll be having a very busy day! Once again, congrates on your apple! It looks great and I'm sure it tastes wonderful too!

Pete

Tim: I have 3 gal of apple brewing right now. I'm going to be back sweeting next week some time. You said you used apple concentrate, do you add water or just concentrate strait??? Thanks jh

Kutya, I used apple concentrate from wal-mart. It was about .79 a can. I used it right out of the can. I did not add any water to it, just mixed it up with the wine very well is all. I think one can per gal worked just fine with mine.

Here is the recipe. This one is from Jackkellers site.

<CENTER>APPLE JUICE WINE</CENTER>
<UL>
<LI>1 gal fresh or bottled apple juice
<LI>1-1/4 lb granulated sugar
<LI>1 tsp acid blend
<LI>1-2/3 tsp pectic enzyme
<LI>1 crushed Campden tablet
<LI>1/4 to 1/2 tsp tannin
<LI>1-1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
<LI>1 pkt Champagne wine yeast </LI>[/list]

In a primary, stir in sugar until completely dissolved. Add acid blend, 1/4 teaspoon tannin, yeast nutrient, and crushed Campden tablet. Stir well, cover primary and set aside for 12 hours. Stir in pectic enzyme and recover primary. After additional 12 hours, add activated yeast and recover primary. Stir daily for 10 days, keeping covered. Taste wine to determine tannin adequacy. If not adequate, stir in 1/8 teaspoon additional tannin and set aside 4 hours. Taste again to determine if another 1/8 teaspoon is required. When satisfied, rack into gallon secondary and fit airlock. Any additional wine can be poured into small bottle for topping up later and airlocked using #2 or #3 bung. Rack, top up and refit sirlock every 60 days for 6 months. Stabilize, sweeten if desired and wait 2 weeks. Rack into bottles and set aside one year.

Back