First batch high pH

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlshores

Reaction score
Crushed my first case of Cabernet grapes
Total must vol 3.5 gal
SG @ 65F = 1.13
pH= 4.4 (test strip)
TA = 0.35%
Added 4 Camden tablets
After 24 hrs added 7 tsp of tartaric acid and pitched yeast
What should I expect and any suggestions on developing a good wine with a high pH start. Thank you.

Assuming your test strip is correct the pH is high. Most people shoot for around 3.5. You could add some Potassium Bicarbonate to adjust, but it is not recommended to adjust more than 0.3%. Also, what yeast and yeast nutrients are you using? An SG of 1.130 will be difficult to obtain full fermentation without proper nutrients and a very strong yeast. Without both the strong yeast and proper nutrients you will most likely end up with an incomplete fermentation and a sweet wine.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I used a lalvin yeast for reds recommended by home brew supplier. Unfortunately I threw away package so I don't know exact yeast. Do I have many options to stay away from brewing a sweet wine?

Correction, I used Vintners Harvest R56 yeast. The lalvin was for a kit wine I started 2 weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Depending on when you started the batch, you can add water to bring down the SG. Check the SG and see where you are. If you are still around 1.110 or higher, I'd add the water and get closer to 1.090. Otherwise, you'll need a yeast nutrient and probably a yeast energizer. If the yeast is fed properly, you can take that high initial reading and ferment it dry (below 1.000). It will have a high ABV. I have found that high ABV tends to result in a lack of flavor. I actually strive for lower ABV as I prefer the flavor.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

It's been 24 hrs since I pitched the yeast. It seems the yeast is very energized at 70F. What energizers and nutrients would you recommend? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I would not suggest adding Potassium Bicarbonate, this will increase your ph not lower it.

What would you add to lower the PH? And when?

Probably "Acid Blend" would be OK although depending on what you are making tartaric acid might be better. You usually adjust the pH prior to fermentation but it can be done at the end.

Don't add acid blend to a grape wine. Use straight tartaric. Those test strips are useless on red wine. Now that fermentation has started you should probably wait until ml is complete to adjust.

Don't add acid blend to a grape wine. Use straight tartaric. Those test strips are useless on red wine. Now that fermentation has started you should probably wait until ml is complete to adjust.

I agree but pete1235 didn't say what he was making, that's why I said tartaric might be better.

6 gallons of Merlot (grapes)
6 gallons of Cab (grapes) and
6 gallon of Barolo (juice)

I did use the strips (first time using them)

Crushed my first case of Cabernet grapes
Total must vol 3.5 gal
SG @ 65F = 1.13
pH= 4.4 (test strip)
TA = 0.35%
Added 4 Camden tablets
After 24 hrs added 7 tsp of tartaric acid and pitched yeast
What should I expect and any suggestions on developing a good wine with a high pH start. Thank you.

"Crushed my first case of Cabernet grapes"

Latest posts

Back