First attempt at homemade wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'd like some guidance as I'm a newbie to making wine.

Back in November I purchased a six gal bucket of Pinot Noir juice. I let it sit for about a week to allow the lees to settle then added the yeast to ferment. I let the yeast go for about 14 days then racked it into a five gal carboy in early December. Then, yesterday, I racked for the second time into a second five gal carboy. At the bottom of the first carboy I noticed sediment but also what appeared to be a thin crusted layer of crystals ( the crystals has the same shape/size/feel/consistency of granulated sugar - I didn't taste it, but should have). Would this be sugar separating from the wine? Also wondering if I let the first 5 gal sit too long (about 5 months) before racking a second time. I tasted the Pinot and could taste the alcohol but also tasted a little light or thin. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

- Chris (Rutherford, NJ)

First let me welcome you to the forum.
Did you take a specific gravity reading at the beginning ? Is this a wine kit for Pinot Noir. Without a hydrometer it is impossible to know the alcohol content. Most of the kit wines turn out light and are generally meant to be consumed young. Does the wine have a pleasing taste to you? If so, and only if it is crystal clear, I would bottle it and enjoy.
The crystals are probably just part of the gross lees. As for them being sugar, I doubt that. After 6 months in a bulk ageing carboy, it should be finished.
Hint: always keep a ledger or at least a list of all things done to the wine right from the start. Always take a S G reading at each and every stage. Write it down in your notes. Never make wine or bottle while drinking. Makes for sloppy and bad decisions.

First let me welcome you to the forum.
Did you take a specific gravity reading at the beginning ? Is this a wine kit for Pinot Noir. Without a hydrometer it is impossible to know the alcohol content. Most of the kit wines turn out light and are generally meant to be consumed young. Does the wine have a pleasing taste to you? If so, and only if it is crystal clear, I would bottle it and enjoy.
The crystals are probably just part of the gross lees. As for them being sugar, I doubt that. After 6 months in a bulk ageing carboy, it should be finished.
Hint: always keep a ledger or at least a list of all things done to the wine right from the start. Always take a S G reading at each and every stage. Write it down in your notes. Never make wine or bottle while drinking. Makes for sloppy and bad decisions.

Donatelo, thank you for welcoming me and your help! I took SG readings during the fermentation stage in the original bucket the juice came in and recorded on a piece of paper. I forgot to record SG yesterday. Is it too late to remove the rubber bung and take an SG reading today? This Pinot isn't a wine kit, I just purchased a 6 gal bucket of Pinot Noir and pieced together the equipment / Super kleer KC etc, on my own from friends' guidance. The wine is quite clear but has a light or thin wine taste to it. Not too sweet, so im wondering if I add the Super Kleer KC (two packet kit) maybe it will help refine it? I will keep a ledger going forward, i know it's important! Thank you Donatelo!

Go ahead and take the SG then replace the airlock.. Go to the Brewersfriend.com site and use the ABV app that they have there, This will tell you the Alcohol By Volume. Really nothing bad about a light wine. , unless you intend to get someone drunk. I have a very nice Geruztraminer that is only 9% or so. It's probably my wife's favorite.

Go ahead and take the SG then replace the airlock.. Go to the Brewersfriend.com site and use the ABV app that they have there, This will tell you the Alcohol By Volume. Really nothing bad about a light wine. , unless you intend to get someone drunk. I have a very nice Geruztraminer that is only 9% or so. It's probably my wife's favorite.
Great, thank you! I'll keep you posted.

You don't need the app to figure out you ABV. Just take the starting reading (say 1.09) and subtract the finished reading (say .990) and multiply x 131 = ABV. 1.09 -.990 x 131 = 13.1% If you back sweeten the wine you will reduce the ABV slightly. Don't forget your sorbate if back sweetening.

I took an SG reading and it sat at 1.00. The problem is that I didn't take a reading before I applied the yeast when the juice was still in the bucket, but took several readings after I deposited the yeast. The readings were: 11/02/17 1.065, 11/04/17 1.30, 11/05/17 1.10, and 11/14/17 1.00, and then 05/17/18 1.00. So im assuming I'm ready to bottle? Also, is now the time to add the KC clear if i wanted? Thanks!

So you've had a consistent 1.00 for 6 months, so if your wine is clear you can bottle. If it's still cloudy at all do not bottle. If there is any lees on the bottom still, be careful when bottling not to stir it up.

If your 1.065 measurement was within 24 hours of adding the yeast, it probably was the same before you added, so you will have about an 8.5% wine. If that 1.065 reading was day or two after you added the yeast, it was probably higher to start with, so you'd have higher alcohol.
If you feel the taste is a little thin you could add some oak chips and leave them in a couple of weeks, or some tannin powder.

So you've had a consistent 1.00 for 6 months, so if your wine is clear you can bottle. If it's still cloudy at all do not bottle. If there is any lees on the bottom still, be careful when bottling not to stir it up.

If your 1.065 measurement was within 24 hours of adding the yeast, it probably was the same before you added, so you will have about an 8.5% wine. If that 1.065 reading was day or two after you added the yeast, it was probably higher to start with, so you'd have higher alcohol.
If you feel the taste is a little thin you could add some oak chips and leave them in a couple of weeks, or some tannin powder.
Great, thank you for the help!

Back