First (almost) Plum

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony49

Reaction score
I say almost, as I had planned to use all fruit. Didn't work out that way.
De-pitted, quartered and froze the plums which came above the three gallon mark on my primary.
Lo and behold, when thawed they were below that line. :<
Have to make three gallons as I lost my singles in the move.
So, I added one frozen Welches Concord concentrate. Chopped up 1 1/4 pound of Sun-Maid raisins and added that to the nylon bag.
Five cups of sugar brought the SG to 1.080.
PH is 3.54.
Three teaspoons of yeast nutrient.
Water just past the three gallon mark. About 3/4 gallon.
Think I'm ready to toss part of the yeast that's been started. (71 B-1122)
Hope to hear some critiques from some of the old hands at fruit winemaking as to what I may have done differently or advice.
Thanks, will update as things progress.
Tony...

Did you hit it with some pectic enzime? Helps clear it later on. If you already pitched your yeast, use the pectic after the yeast gets done working. Already put all the yeast nutrient in? I usually step feed the yeast and it helps move the ferment along. Works with only one addition, just seems like step feeding keeps it from slowing way down too early. Arne.

Thanks Arne.
Hit it with three teaspoons pectic enzyme the day before before I pitched the yeast.
Already put all the yeast nutrient in? I usually step feed the yeast
Makes sense. I'll keep this in mind for future batches.
Can probably add a bit more or yeast energizer a bit down the road.
Appreciate your input.
:b

Last edited:
Looks like you pitched the yeast. Did it take off yet? Sit back and let time do its thing. Good luck with it, Arne.

Oh, it took off.
Checked the sg this AM-1.000 on the button.
Going to give the plum and raisin bags a good squeeze and remove. Then add a teaspoon of yeast energizer so that it can finish up.
Thinking about using Bentonite as its really cloudy, but I understand that bentonite strips flavor. Maybe let time do its job.
Cheers

Back