Fire Water

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish1onthefly

Reaction score
I have an acorn wine that seems to have alcohol off the chart! My hydrometer sinks below the numbers and I am guessing .980 or below!
Is there an inexpensive way to test gravity/alcohol?

I am also going to have to backsweeten and flavor this "wine".. After reading about citrus I am thinking of using orange/lime...comments?

I have to admit that I've never even heard of acorn wine. I thought that acorns are poisonous to humans.

You won't have to oak that wine!!!!!!!!!
smiley36.gif

Bwah haaaa haaaa haaaa - or however Waldo spells it!

ROFLMAO with that one Barney!

I wonder if there is anything that hasn't been made into beer and wine?
On that show with Olly and Mark there a couple weeks ago the tribe they were with now was making beer. They thought Olly(?) wasn't much of a man so they had him helping the women make beer for their festival. They would chew up some bark or something and spit it into a hollowed out log thingy- emphasize spit. They kept chewing and spitting until they had gallons of the stuff. They fermented that, and that is what they drank to get Merry! YUUUUCCCCKKKKKK!

You could probably get a pretty goodestimate if you had the original gravity.

That's a good one Barney!

PWP, I vaguely remember my California history class in high school talking aboutsome of the original Indian tribes of California used to make acorn meal. They would grind the kernels and have to eitherrinseit orboil it muliple times due to the high level of tannic (?) acid to get it low enough to eat.

Appleman, I saw a recipe for milk wine this morning and thought that was pretty bad until I read your "beer"
smiley11.gif
Ugh...

Appleman, your anecdote is like sampling the spit bucket at a wine tasting competition
smiley34.gif

Sorry Fish1, you are the guinee pig of Acorn Wine! We are all to chicken to try one like that!

Seriosly though, good luck with it and let us know what works out with it. I have a lot of acorns here!

Watch out for squirrels..............

Don't think I'd be gutsy enough to try that one either

I personally prefer lime flavoring. Funny how our tastes change over the years. When I was a kid I didn't like it at all. How much of this are you making?

I have 5 gallons bulk aging. Hurricane Ike did the hard work getting the trees and acorns where I could harvest them. The one big treeI had to cut off my barn was loaded, and I hated to not use them in some way. I enjoy making wine so...... I also have a 1 gallon batch of Mesquite Bean wine bottled, but it still has 6 months to go before tasteing

fish1, do you know what the original gravity was? From that you can get the alcohol content. Other than that, not sure.

wAY i GOT IT FIGGERED A MAN WOULD HAFTA BE "NUTS" TO TRY AND MAKE WINE FROM ACORNS
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back