finished cheese press with instructions and pictur

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
Parts needed
2--- 12 12 1/2 in food grade cutting boards9 One for the upper and one for the base
1 food grade board((thin))tat will enable you to cot 1 4 inch and one 6 inch circle
2 36 in by 5/8 dowels cut in half to from 4 vertical guide posts
1--2 in schedule 40 PVC pipe cut to exactly 9 inches in length
1--4 in schedule 40 PVC pipe cut to exactly 9 inches in length
1--6 in schedule 40 PVC pipe cut to exactly 9 inches in length

Weights as needed. A pot of water will do it.

drill 4-- 5/8in holes in the base about 1 1/4 in in from each corner

Drill 4--11/16 holes in the top piece about 1 1/4 in from each corner

CheesePress_0852.jpg

Cheesepressmaterials_1001.jpg

CheesePress_1045.jpg

CheesePress_1046.jpg

I'm not a carpenter sorry

CheesePress_1047.jpg

Looks Great!! Just a thought? Keeping in mind that I have never seen a cheeze press!
#1 ) If you had a third boardon top or the large caseing with a hole the size of the smallest casing and holes for the dowels it might be more stable
#2 ) If you bolt (w/ss bolts) a low presure pvc cap to the top board that fits the smallest casing. (the low presure cap is flat on the end.)
#3 )If you had Wade's Router skills you could route a groove for the pvc to slide into on the boad.

Second thought I am not sure how the hand gun is used in this project??
smiley3.gif
Edited by: Rocky Top

Its actually stable its just crooked. My talent is with engines.
Try and steal my cheese and find out what the gun is for
smiley36.gif

Looks good Scotty, the only thing I would recommend is some very fine holes in the press plates, to let whey escape when the curd is pressed. Good Job!
smiley32.gif

I love cheeze.
I think I'll steal my cheeze from some place else.
See the gun was not fired and the crime was averted. (or deverted)

JWMINNESOTA said:
Looks good Scotty, the only thing I would recommend is some very fine holes in the press plates, to let whey escape when the curd is pressed. Good Job!
smiley32.gif

Do you mean the little round disks???

Yes, then you can simply tip it over to pour excess whey off, we actually use something very similar, only much bigger of course, and pull the excess out with vacuum. In the old days barrels were actually tipped on there sides to pour it out.You will control the moisture in your cheese by how much weight (pressure) you press with, that will determine how much whey comes out.The whey needs somewhere to go.

JWMINNESOTA said:
Yes, then you can simply tip it over to pour excess whey off, we actually use something very similar, only much bigger of course, and pull the excess out with vacuum. In the old days barrels were actually tipped on there sides to pour it out.You will control the moisture in your cheese by how much weight (pressure) you press with, that will determine how much whey comes out.The whey needs somewhere to go.

I thought that the whey would drain from the bottom

wade said:
Is that a gun powder activated press?
smiley4.gif

This is the south and florida to boot.

Most folks exercise the right. Both rocky and I have concealed carry permits

Scotty, maybe at this small of scale, and depending on how much curd you are dealing with, and how tight your press plates fityou will have enough drainage, try it first to see.

JWMINNESOTA said:
Scotty, maybe at this small of scale, and depending on how much curd you are dealing with, and how tight your press plates fityou will have enough drainage, try it first to see.

i made the plates loose and they are rough around the edges just like me.

BTW I really appreciate the input. I never made cheese before.
I'll do a soft cheese or 2 first
smiley1.gif

Scotty,
This is so cool! Bert and I were just talking about this last weekend!
smiley32.gif
Our son-in-law now knows someone with a dairy farm, so we may have a place to acquire fresh milk! We were discussing presses and containers on the whey home! Thank you for the pictures and supply list. And we promise, we would NEVER think of stealing your cheese.

Ahhhhhhh fresh cheeses with crackers, a glass of wine and a breeze blowing off Lake DeGray.....Can you picture that scotty ?

Waldo said:
Ahhhhhhh fresh cheeses with crackers, a glass of wine and a breeze blowing off Lake DeGray.....Can you picture that scotty ?

Well Waldo I can but better than that will be our DJDEBBIE GROUP along with you and a couple of folks from the FINEVINE WINES group.

My friends are all tickled about your santa video and also want to get you back for the turkey call sucker trick.

HMMMM SMOKED AND SEASONED WALDO
smiley36.gif

scotty
If I see anyone coming at me with an apple in their hand I may have to open me a can of "whoop ass"
smiley36.gif
Edited by: Waldo

I never have made cheese before. We used to make butter though. Mmmmm butter and crackers with wine - just doesn't sound as good as crackers and cheese with wine.

Let us know how the cheese comes out and if it's any gooda. If the pressing doesn't work well you can start a new cottage industy making cheese.

Latest posts

Back