Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you understand what an airlock looks like when it’s under pressure from fermentation there’s no difference positive pressure from inside is pushing out when it dissipates the atmosphere pressure pushes back that simple.
If you work with the tools of the industry ( in this case gases) long enough it becomes a very simple process , learning to use all the tools of our craft when ever it’s appropriate.
Work smarter not harder.

Last edited:
I just racked my Blackberry and Strawberry and they smell delicious! The color on both is very dark - the blackberry is almost inky. They both finished at a bit higher than 13%. Per the instructions, I used packet D, degassed (I use my AIO wine pump for racking/degassing), added the chitosan and kieselsol, and added one of the 2 included wine conditioner packs in each. The instructions say to let it sit for 2 weeks, then backsweeten with the remaining wine conditioner pack for each, so that's my current plan.

I don't have any 6 gallon carboys, so I racked the blackberry into a 5 gallon + a 13 cup jug + 2 pints. I added a little bit of packet D as well as some of the wine conditioner to the 13 cup jug, but I didn't bother with the fining agents.

When I racked the strawberry, I went with a 5 gallon + a 1 gallon. I probably could have gotten close to another pint of sludgy stuff, but I decided to skip it. With adding the wine conditioner, I had no need to top off with anything else, so I think a 6 gallon carboy might be fine without needing to top off much, for these kits. As with the blackberry, I only used the fining agents in the 5 gallon, but I put a little bit of packet D as well as some of the wine conditioner in the 1 gallon carboy.

I am excited to see how they turn out! So far, so good!

I started a Wine Expert Private Reserve Chardonnay and a Finer Wine Kit Chardonnay at the same time. I followed instructions that came with each kit. The Kieselsol that came with the FWK had crystalized and it didn't clear completely. I added Dualfine and it cleared up nicely. I think they both look good and about the same color.

Attachments

• IMG_7578.JPG
    IMG_7578.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7579 (1).JPG
    IMG_7579 (1).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 47
I started a Wine Expert Private Reserve Chardonnay and a Finer Wine Kit Chardonnay at the same time. I followed instructions that came with each kit. The Kieselsol that came with the FWK had crystalized and it didn't clear completely. I added Dualfine and it cleared up nicely. I think they both look good and about the same color.

It appears you topped up the FWK but not the WE? Any particular reason

I just racked my Blackberry and Strawberry and they smell delicious! The color on both is very dark - the blackberry is almost inky. They both finished at a bit higher than 13%. Per the instructions, I used packet D, degassed (I use my AIO wine pump for racking/degassing), added the chitosan and kieselsol, and added one of the 2 included wine conditioner packs in each. The instructions say to let it sit for 2 weeks, then backsweeten with the remaining wine conditioner pack for each, so that's my current plan.

I don't have any 6 gallon carboys, so I racked the blackberry into a 5 gallon + a 13 cup jug + 2 pints. I added a little bit of packet D as well as some of the wine conditioner to the 13 cup jug, but I didn't bother with the fining agents.

When I racked the strawberry, I went with a 5 gallon + a 1 gallon. I probably could have gotten close to another pint of sludgy stuff, but I decided to skip it. With adding the wine conditioner, I had no need to top off with anything else, so I think a 6 gallon carboy might be fine without needing to top off much, for these kits. As with the blackberry, I only used the fining agents in the 5 gallon, but I put a little bit of packet D as well as some of the wine conditioner in the 1 gallon carboy.

I am excited to see how they turn out! So far, so good!
Awesome! Looking to do both of those this spring too. Any pics?

Cheers!

WE instructions say topping up is not necessary.
Other folks have not topped up, followed the kit bottling schedule, and had no problems.

However, if you are NOT bottling on schedule (bulk aging longer), I suggest topping up. Oxidation is a factor of wine volume vs. headspace volume vs. time. If you go beyond the time frames indicated in the instructions, oxidation is a strong possibility.

Their instructions state: "Topping up the carboy during the clearing process is not required. If choosing to top-up use a similar style of wine. Water is not recommended. "
At that point topping up is not necessary as the wine is still outgassing enough CO2 to displace atmosphere. I never top up in the clearing stage, and this is in 6.5 gal carboys, so obviously there is headspace. I've held wine in this stage for over a month with noticeable effect. With that said, when I rack into my secondary settling carboys (6 gal) I either top up or use marbles. The marbles I will only use in the secondary settling carboys, while the Better Bottles are topped up.

Awesome! Looking to do both of those this spring too. Any pics?

Cheers!
Strawberry:
63B8AEA2-BD4A-44C8-A48F-E1C244B4CD51.jpeg
Blackberry:
28F52D6B-09CF-43A2-BF88-72AA1E437DB9.jpeg

Earlier pics (edit - these are screenshots from the videos I took of the very active fermentations - not a lot of foam aside from when I stirred, but you could definitely see the yeastie beasties moving things around throughout the fermentation) ...

Strawberry - foamy just after stirring in 2nd nutrient pack, then a few minutes later it was a calmer but still moving a bit:

71C0A47E-F267-451C-B547-A17875C7D777.jpeg
1F58B421-0CBD-4822-809E-23F611B0738B.jpeg

Blackberry just after adding 2nd nutrient pack but before stirring it:
AC82A790-39C0-40C0-B4E8-806CAA0E92B3.jpeg

Last edited:
I racked the FW Blackberry to a 6 gallon carboy today. SG was 0.995 so should be dry but tasted surprisingly good even before adding the sweetener pack. Dry but fruity and still tasted like blackberry (not sure what I was expecting) but my wife and I were definitely pleased.
The directions said to top up with water, however we actually had a little more wine than would fit. And depending on how much sediment there is after clearing, and after back sweetening to taste, I'm expecting to end up with close to 30 bottles.

We had our plans for this week changed for us so I decided to go ahead and bottle the two FWK whites yesterday. Ran them through the AIO filter (1 micron). The Riesling was crystal clear and beautiful but the Sauvignon Blanc still had a light haze. I chose to not put the SB in bottles yet. I should have taken a picture of them side by side but too late now. These have needed only minimal topping up and I yielded 28 750ml bottles and 4 splits of dry Riesling.

I also bottled the RJS coffee dessert wine using @heatherd recipe of adding 1.5 cups of brandy. It’s pretty amazing. 35 375ml bottles.
Glad it worked well.

Had received a Tavola Chardonnay 12 days ago and due to going on vacation, had to leave in my refrigerator unopened. Pulled it out today to start it and it was blown up like a balloon. Clearly something in the bag went bad. Had to throw it out (it smelled “off” too). Called label Peelers and they issued a credit toward a Bordeaux Forte, so it is fine.

Had received a Tavola Chardonnay 12 days ago and due to going on vacation, had to leave in my refrigerator unopened. Pulled it out today to start it and it was blown up like a balloon. Clearly something in the bag went bad. Had to throw it out (it smelled “off” too). Called label Peelers and they issued a credit toward a Bordeaux Forte, so it is fine.

Interesting - I wonder if the juice should have been frozen given the length of time. It's perishable (like milk or cheese) and can only last so long in the fridge.

I'm betting the instruction manual will change to something like: You can leave it in the box and start the wine within 2 days of receipt; refrigerate for up to a week; freeze if you won't be starting your fermentation within a week of receipt.

But, good for LP and FWK for doing right.

Interesting - I wonder if the juice should have been frozen given the length of time. It's perishable (like milk or cheese) and can only last so long in the fridge.

I'm betting the instruction manual will change to something like: You can leave it in the box and start the wine within 2 days of receipt; refrigerate for up to a week; freeze if you won't be starting your fermentation within a week of receipt.

But, good for LP and FWK for doing right.

After speaking with a guy at LP, it sounds like they possibly keep all the FWK’s in a freezer there as he mentioned he would check the freezer and see if they had any more whites left. If that’s the case, I wonder if the juice could withstand freeze, thaw and re-freezing. I agree, they need to include better holding and storage instructions in the kits.

Back