Finally home! Blackberry melomel update!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoastalEmpireWine

Reaction score
So for everyone who knows me I have spent the past 10 months in Afghanistan. I am happy to say that I am finally home!! I started my blackberry melomel and I'm extremely surprised on how fast it has actually fermented! I started it four days ago at 1.120 and today it is at 1.060. At first I was a little concerned about that number. I decided to taste and wow does it taste great.

Glad ya made it back safe 'n sound.

What yeast strain did you use?

Thanks everyone. Well I ran into a dilemma with using wyeast 4184, and the only other yeast I had was Montrachet... There isn't a brew shoppe next to me so that's what I used.

so glad to hear you home and safe. Thanks again for your service. Enjoy your wine making and do keep us posted on your progress!

Welcome back! So did you use 4184 then end up pitching Montrachet?

I got to be mean to you, to bad you didnt start this before you left, it would be clear by now and almost ready to bottle, you could have dreampt about how good it was going to be when it was hot outside working! Thanks and welcome home. WVMJ

Sara, yes after I waited several days for it to kick off I used the Montrachet. I didn't want to as it is a generic yeast but I had no choice

WVMountaineerJack said:
I got to be mean to you, to bad you didnt start this before you left, it would be clear by now and almost ready to bottle, you could have dreampt about how good it was going to be when it was hot outside working! Thanks and welcome home. WVMJ

That's really mean haha. However I did start an apple wine before I left and that turned out nice.

Wouldn't mind betting that if you rack off the sediment, it'll drop another, smaller amount.......

I'm sure it will also. How long should I let it sit on the gross lees? I thought about racking it here soon.

The only yeast I can think of where its recommended to get the batch off the gross lees relatively quickly, is 71B narbonne strain.

The guesstimate is 2 months after the end of the ferment. Not that I know if there's actually any science behind that period other than anecdotal evidence that no-one has reported autolysis off flavours in that timespan, and that unlike other yeasts that either do nothing or improve/slightly modify the taste, 71B is the one that I have read as causing autolysis problems so........

Now I'm quite lazy with a lot of my batches, but even I like to get then racked/stabilised/back sweetened etc, so theyre ready for bottling or bulk aging (mostly bulk aging as bottling is such a chore !).

Latest posts

Back