Finally built my wine rack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalofrenchy

Reaction score
For weeks I have been looking for a cheap solid way to build a wine rack and I think I accomplished just that.

Simplest idea I could think of: shelves with small slope (2%) so that via gravity wine bottles can't move along the shelves when a shelf is almost empty.

Most if not all of my wine are 6 gal carboys which is accommodated by two rows on a shelf.

Total cost $45.
Capacity: designed/built for 5 batches so 150 bottles with two rows on each shelf but really it could accommodate more bottles per shelf if I happen to make the same wine before one goes out of stock which will happen soon for the dragon blood.

20140504_172608.jpg

20140504_172635.jpg

20140504_172647.jpg

20140504_172716.jpg

Last edited:
I just built some wine racks as well. Not as large as yours. I found the plans on the net somewhere. I'll post tomorrow. ImageUploadedByWine Making1399256149.812005.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1399256174.990586.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

These both look great!

This summer I'm wanting to build a large wine rack and a picnic table.

Very nice. I need to build a large rack or 2 so I can unload some boxes...

The larger one I built holds two cases. The original plans is what the smaller one looks like. I just added two mor horizontal rows.

I posted this recently elsewhere, but let me throw it out here now. The geometry I used, with "harlequin-patterned" diamonds, is the most efficient possible arrangement for stacking. I used 1x8's angled at 60 deg. from one another. I used a circular saw to make the angled cuts necessary. I sized the diamonds so that they can hold 16 bottles, which is pretty good for storing kits (with 30 bottles per kit). Let me know if you want any details.

DSCN0564.jpg

DSCN0570.jpg

All three very nice. With the first two I don't see any bracing that would prevent the wine rack from... well racking (i.e. shifting to a a non-right angle parallelogram shape)?

I still need to add a back so the wines can't fall out the back. Hopefully that will keep the structure square.

This is great! Nice work. I'm going to follow your lead. Do you have plans that you could share?

I still need to add a back so the wines can't fall out the back. Hopefully that will keep the structure square.

That would definitely keep it square. If you nail/screw into the shelves, as well as the frame, you'd be stiffening the back shelving along with the entire structure.

@sourgrapes: Hi. I was referring to Buffalo's newly constructed wine rack. In my option, the method of construction and choice of materials is both efficient and economical. Achieving both of these qualities two qualities simultaneously is most desirable. This design will work well with my short as well as long term goals. I have the space for something like this, and will construct it in a manner that can be easily modified with locking doors. I will install horizontally positioned doors on hinges, turning each shelve into individual compartments that I can secure with locks.

All three very nice. With the first two I don't see any bracing that would prevent the wine rack from... well racking (i.e. shifting to a a non-right angle parallelogram shape)?

You are right I have nothing. It is very sturdy though, only 2 by 4 lumber with lots of long screws but the risk is not worth it. I will improve that this week end with my next upgrade which is to build a second one that will be perpendicular and attached to this existing one.

@sourgrapes: Hi. I was referring to Buffalo's newly constructed wine rack. In my option, the method of construction and choice of materials is both efficient and economical. Achieving both of these qualities two qualities simultaneously is most desirable. This design will work well with my short as well as long term goals. I have the space for something like this, and will construct it in a manner that can be easily modified with locking doors. I will install horizontally positioned doors on hinges, turning each shelve into individual compartments that I can secure with locks.

I don't have formal plans as I kind of winged it when I built it. I kind of knew what I wanted but didn't know how much slope, how much support, how many 2 by 4 per shelf... I decided that on the fly. Initially I was going with two 2 by 4 but the bottles would stick out too much so I added a third one which doesn't provide support as the bottles only rest on two 2 by 4...
I plan on building a second one this week end and can take some notes when I build it. The second unit will be perpendicular to this one and attached to it so that there won't be any possible forward movement from either units.

I like it. Does the job well. I'm going to wing it in a couple of weeks myself.....I'm using the bottom shelf of a bookcase for now! Haha. Need something like this though. Good luck with it. Thanks for sharing the ideas.

Back