Filtering your wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodfella

Reaction score
I bought a MM barolo kit. The instuctions say to filter the wine. It claims this will clear the wine, and also degass it.

Would anyone disagree with doing this? Or is there any tips for doing this?

I priced some filters.... It looks a little expensive. That would be Ok as long as it does something good to the wine.

I don't believe that filtering a wine will degas it. If there is a lot of gas in the wine, it will probably help some to dissipate.

Steve

I have heard that filtering with the mini-jet will degass the wine - I have one and have used it on a few wines and have been pleased with the results and will continue to use it -I will say though that I opened an apricot wine this weekend that I used the mini-jet on and it was still "fizzing" a bit in the glass so I know it wasn't completely degassed. I am going to get a brake bleeder and try it out on my next wine.

Degassing should be done early on. By doing this early it will help clear the wine .
Seems like you filter degass and bottle the same day?
I wouldn't for the reasons you just said.

tepe said:
Degassing should be done prior to filtering and bottling. Filtering will "polish your wine. Time is your best friend in clearing. I have the Buon Vino mini jet which is under $200.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?GC_Category=Equipment&PartNumber=5270A
The Barolo is much better if you bulk age and that will clear your wine. Degassing should start before adding the fining agents.

I found a mini jet on craigslist for $50. I think I will grab it tomorrow.

I heard bulk aging is good for Barolo's. How long would you bulk age a MM Megiloli Barolo?

At least 1 year in the carboy and 2 in the bottle.

What would bethe biggest advantageof bulk aging?

Be easy... Remember.... I'm they new guy!!! haha

Would I do all the same processes as the instructions recommend? Except the last step of bottling. Or would I change the process?

Latest posts

Back