Filtering woes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I filtered and bottled my Torrontes this morning. It is the 4th white wine I've done. Despite having just filtered with a 1 micron filter, I could still see very fine particles in the wine. I checked the others, including my Eclipse Sauv Blanc that was bottled about a year ago. They all have very fine sediment.

I took a look at the lid to my filter housing and there is a hole drilled such that it appears it would be possible for wine to come in through the input, and go straight to the output without having to go through the filter. I just can't get my head around this design. It seems there is nothing that would force the wine through the filter.

Am I being too picky? Should some very, very fine sediment make it through the filter. The only other thing I can think of is there is sediment/dust in the receiving carboy. But before I filter the wine, I run a half gallon or so of KMeta solution through the filter and into the receiving carboy. I then dump that solution into another carboy or jug for storage. I would think that process would rinse any dust, etc out of the carboy.

Any thoughts or insight are greatly appreciated.

Some more info would be helpful. Which filter housing/filter. Where purchased? Pics? How long was the wine bulk aged before filtering? Were there fines in the bottom of the carboy when you filtered?

The wine was clear, but had only been sitting about a month. I'm using the Pentech 158116 housing and Pentech PD-1-934 filter. Both were purchased from Filters Fast.

Here's a pic of the lid. The "channel" there goes straight from the input to the output. Once the housing fills up, I can't imagine the wine doing anything but taking the path of least resistance and flowing in, then straight out - completely bypassing the filter.

image.jpg

Yes that housing is toast !
It might still seal with the newer design filters - but not sure ?

That is exactly what happens because of the filters with the hard plastic down the center of them. I talked to the manufacturer and they think that there may have been several filters that might of been a bit longer than they should of.

I would use the link below - as I have not heard of any more problems once I have addressed the situation - the filters I recommend has no plastic down the center

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f71/tips-tricks-using-whole-house-filter-37737/

Thanks! I ordered som P1 and P5 filters this morning, as I am now out of filters. They are the same material as the PD-x-934's, but without the plastic core. Guess I'll order a new housing too, then re bottle.

Back