RJ Spagnols Filter this Port?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uavwmn

Reaction score
I racked my OCP to the secondary yesterday. S.G. 0.80.
It says to wait til day 42, then filter and bottle.
I did not have to filter my chocolate raspberry port last year.
Is it going to be necessary to filter this one?

You don't have to filter if you don't want to. That SG looks suspect - you might want to re-check it.

I'm guessing your meant 0.980, which is as low as it can go for any wine. I'd re-check it as Peter says to do. At any rate, you do not need to filter, however you need to be really careful to watch for refermentation due to the high content of sugar being added back into the wine with the f-pack.

Just make sure that your SG is stable and doesn't change after the addition of the f-pack. If it stays stable until day 42, you should be good to go. I think they put 2 packs of sorbate in this kit just to be safe.

I am pretty weak at reading numbers. 1.080?
smiley4.gif

1.080 is pretty high for a fermented wine. What was the starting SG?

It should have feremented down to close to 1.000, then you add the f-pack to bring it back up between 1.015 and 1.020. I think you might have a stuck fermentation there.

ok, what should I do next? I have been following the directions.
smiley19.gif

Dean, it came with one package of Sorbate. Do you think I have messed this one up? I am starting to feel anxiety here. haha
Think I should take an SG reading tonight?
smiley3.gif

No problems, but it you have not added the f-pack, take another reading for us and let us know the value. It's been close to 2 years now that I've made the OCP, so I can't remember if it came with 1 or 2 packs of sorbate.

It may have only come with one, because it creates so much alcohol that refermentation is almost impossible. It should finish somewhwere around 16% on its own.

Dean, I have added everything the directions have told me too. If I should do anything else, please advise. Thank you.

We need to know the SG fir further instructions but can tell you that the 2 kits I have bough lately from RJS and 1 was the White Port only had 1 package of sorbate and 2 packets of yeast.

Wade, when I transferred the port from primary to secondary the S.G. was 1.080. It came with 2 yeast packs and 1 sorbate pack.

I think you've got a stuck fermentation on that port. ABV should have been close to 16% and you've got 4.7%. You should call the 1-800 number and see what they recommend.

Did you ferment this cool? or were there temp fluctuations?

Dean, I checked the SG this morning and it was 1.030. Smells good, if that means anything.
smiley36.gif

Ok, I think I'm confused here. Usually on RJS kits, you keep the wine in the primary until day 14, then on that day, you add the sorbate, sulphite, f-pack, and clearing agents. Wait until day 42 and then filter (optional) and bottle.

Did you follow a different routine? Transfer to secondary on day 8? and have not added the sulphite, sorbate and other stuff?

It's impossible for you to have stabilized at 1.080 and then have it drop to 1.030 after stabilization, or at least not that quick of a drop. If you haven't stabilized, keep letting it go until it reaches about 1.000.

If you transferred at 1.080 then you surely had a problem with fermentation as thats way to early to transfer, remember never to go by days and always go by SG and it really should have been WAY lower! Not sure if you are following directions wrong or just not reading the hydrometer wrong are you sure its 1.030 or is it 1.003?</font></font>

Latest posts

Back