Filter before or after KMS?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bleedaggie

Reaction score
I have 6 gallons of Dragon Blood ready to backsweeten, filter and bottle. I reracked it with the AIO filter a week ago to make sure it was degassed. It’s clear but still had a few bubbles.

My question is: should I filter it and then add another shot of KMS before bottling, or should it be okay? Can I over KMS it?

I’m not in a huge hurry except my wife is eager to drink it and I’m eager to fill the carboy with something new.

I would think that any addition, even just KMS might prompt precipitation. (Rare I know but...)

In any case given that you are ready to bottle, I would make filtering the LAST thing I do before bottling.
I try (Don't always do this) to wait a few days to a week after anything is added, including just a simple syrup to back-sweeten. There is a thread on her about someone who back-sweetened a Rhubarb wine just before they thought they were ready to bottle - It suddenly got cloudy. Was it something in the water, the sugar ??? No real answer to that one but, it points out that sometimes a little extra patience can pay off. Certainly making filtering the last step would be one way of removing any little debris lurking in your wine. Catch it in the filter not the bottom of the bottle.

That way it's as clean and clear as possible.

Latest posts

Back