few questions about stuck fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zule,

With a SG of 0.993 I'd say your about done. I'd rack it into a clean carboy to get it off the sediment, put an airlock on it and let it set for a few weeks.

You will still see bubbles in the wine. This is the CO2 that is remaining after fermentation escaping.

I find that using an air lock during primary ferment does take longer and is more likely to stall. I wouldn't worry about getting things in the must and just put the lid on loosely and give it a quick stir every few days.

yeah my plan is to rack very soon (thinking in 3 days). Just wanted it to clear a bit more and maybe ferment a bit more (I do not back sweeten).

I will also start a welsh frozen concentrate grape fruit batch tonight without any airlock for the first 4-5 days and see what happens.

edit: Looks like I accidentally put too much sugar. SG is at 1.122... I think I will throw in my yeast tomorrow with a bit tad over half the nutrients, no airlock and possibly carboy heating belt.

Last edited:
You will not need much sugar, if any, with the welchs frozen, it already has a lot of sugar in it.

Use the 100% juice concentrate, the red is a concord and the white is a Niagara. They do make a nice wine.

Dang, has not started since yeast yesterday, all yeast seems to be sitting at the bottom. I am worried there might of been too much sugar without a 'starter' (1.122 is highest ive ever seen my hydrometer at). I added the heating belt to it a little while ago.

I already threw out my last 5 gallon batch of welsh, hoping this welsh does not turn out that way.

I think if this 3 gallon does not start within 2 days ill dump about a liter out, add a new can of welsh with water and throw in another yeast packet.

What are your room temps and did you let the must sit for a day before adding yeast?

room temps changed, but probably were about 20c.... but with the carboy heating belt the must is probably at least 25c. I put a flashlight to the carboy this morning, looks like there is particles in the must, so maybe its going to start eventually its just taking its time.

I always let the must sit for at least 20 hours before adding the yeast.

Your temps seem pretty good, a bit on the low side but within reason. Are you doing primary ferment in a carboy? If so, I would not recommend that. Primary ferment should be in a bucket with an open top, or lid set on loosely. Fermentation needs oxygen. A carboy filled up to neck will prevent the must from getting oxygen.

I only have carboys. I am going to dump this welsh batch tomorrow, its not going to start. The carboy probably did not help, but long story short I think the high sugar and meta-k played a part in this. I will probably start another welsh (third times the charm) with no extra sugar and probably very little meta-k.

Also I had another wine without an airlock as per everyone's direction. I took a hydrometer reading and noticed it was at 0.995. Oops. I just added the airlock, will that batch be ruined?

I only have carboys. I am going to dump this welsh batch tomorrow, its not going to start. The carboy probably did not help, but long story short I think the high sugar and meta-k played a part in this. I will probably start another welsh (third times the charm) with no extra sugar and probably very little meta-k.

Sometimes (not often but sometimes) spending good money after bad is a better solution that dumping the bad. Don't dump your stuck must. That should always be a last resort. Never the first thing to do.
Here's what I would do if I were in your shoes: if you have an empty carboy start a new batch of the wine with perhaps a gallon made from the concentrate. Don't add any sugar. Don't add any K-meta. After that batch has started to ferment (wait at least a day or two) then add the same volume from your stuck fermentation. Check to see if this new batch continues to ferment with the addition of the stuck must. If it does and it seems active (You could measure the changes in gravity with your hydrometer) then after a few hours of solid activity double THAT volume again by adding more from your troubled carboy. When that shows continued activity after a few hours pour in the remainder of the stuck fermentation (or pour the same volume from the active carboy into the stuck one. If there is still a gallon or so of room between the two carboys I might add one more gallon of fresh must. This way you will a) have restarted the stuck fermentation AND b) you will have reduced the high sugar concentration to a more reasonable level.

Also I had another wine without an airlock as per everyone's direction. I took a hydrometer reading and noticed it was at 0.995. Oops. I just added the airlock, will that batch be ruined?

Yes, the one without the airlock will be fine. Since co2 is heavier than oxygen it forms a layer helping keep oxygen out when fermentation is done. This is why they say to give it a stir each day during ferment. It gets the oxygen into the must when you want it.

Just put the airlock on when you can. It will be fine.

Glad to see you got one to ferment.

Latest posts

Back