Fermintation Bag Cleaning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You shouldn't. Go to a paint store, Sherman Williams etc. , and buy a handful of nylon paint can strainer bags at $1 per. Cheap and you don't feel guilty about serving guests wine strained through ladies underwear.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Hahahah! I know some guys that would pay extra if it was strained through ladies underthingies! :)

I rinse it out real good, right side out and inside out, soak it in a tub with Sani Brew. Rinse again then store it in a 1qt mason jar with Sani brew water mix. When I am ready to go again I take it out and rinse rinse rinse. Seems like Lot of work but I can't get the paint strainers at home depot any more.

I never thought of this but are those painter bags food safe? I haven't looked at those yet. Do they close up well?

Carolyn they are probably just as safe as pantyhose! I just tie up the bags and only had one come open in 6 years, didn't tie it very good.

Thanks lol! I have straining bags from the wine making store. They have elastics on them but I still have to tie them up. The queen sized hose are cool cuz i just have to stretch the opening over the edges of the fermenter pail and they stay like that. I don't need a second person to help me pour my fruit into them. Then I just tie them in a loose single knot and it's easy to get them open to put more fruit in or to remove and clean.

Something like this....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00883KBQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

...this looks a little more expensive because of the elastic. The ones I get from the paint store are called "regular top" and I use kitchen twine soaked/rinsed in Kmeta. They are 100% nylon mesh so probably the same genus/specie as pantyhose. I think you can get them in 1 gal too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something like this....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00883KBQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

...this looks a little more expensive because of the elastic. The ones I get from the paint store are called "regular top" and I use kitchen twine soaked/rinsed in Kmeta. They are 100% nylon mesh so probably the same genus/specie as pantyhose. I think you can get them in 1 gal too.

Those are exactly what I have. They should come with a drawstring closure of some sort IMHO!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I do except I use queen size pantyhose or knee high pantyhose from Walmart $.99 a pair for the queen pantyhose or $.99 for two pk of knee highs. I don't freeze mine. Hang them to dry and put them in ziplock, when I need to use them again I just soak in a k-meta solution and rinse prior to filling with fruit. I have been able to use the same ones 3 times so far without any issues. They're cheap and they work if you know how to treat them - being a woman helps :)

I'm thinking my comfort level is leaning towards buying the paint strainer bags vs. the pantyhose. Reminds me of the time my buddy told me he used K-Y Jelly to hold the needle bearings in place when he assembled his Harley's dry clutch basket as the jelly was water soluble....I opted for Vaseline when I put my bike back together. No way was I going into Walgreens to buy a tube of that! :D

Since I dont know anyone that wears them, and I dont want to go buy them, I will stay with the paint strainer bags, with a elastic top....it doubles as a cover for my buckets.

Key to buying something that is made exclusively for a woman is to also buy something for yourself that is manly.

Yup! My hubby won't buy anything that is for women only unless he buys other stuff at the same time. Otherwise he refuses lol! Funny we can buy boy stuff without looking silly like when I bought boxers.

Geez when my hubby bought a sz small construction glove at the speciality store the sales rep said those weren't going to fit him... I'm a farrier lol He said loudly "these aren't for ME they're for my wife!"

Key to buying something that is made exclusively for a woman is to also buy something for yourself that is manly.

I think the key is to just have a manly bearing. Yes, I am buying these tampons, I have not an ounce of embarrassment about it. Obviously, *I* have someone special in my life -- do you?

It doesn't bother me in the least to buy tampons, house, ladies underwear, anything like that. I don't very often any more as my two daughters no longer live at home and my wife has no need for most of those things any more. Man up and buy them, trust me the cashier at WalMart doesn't give it a second thought.

I love the sweater laundry nylon mesh bag with a zipper so much just bought 20 more. $1 each lol. They work so great!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Can i get those laundry bags at Walmart? My pantyhose haven't failed me yet but I'll look into it when they do...

Back