Mosti Mondiale Fermenting too fast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlover

Junior
Reaction score
Day four in the primary and i have a reading of 1030 with a temp of 80is that ok? The instruction say to transfer at day 6 with a reading of 1020 or lower.smells great and is fizzing away. Just not sure if all is well

Redlover, I don't know anything as I'm on my first kit but you are right where mine was give or take a sg or two. I racked on day 5 due to sg reading. Which seems normal from the reading I did on this forum.Edited by: A62Rambler

Thanks. First time like you just want to make sure i am on the right track. It is reassuring you had a similar reading

80* is a little high, you could place a wet T-shirt on the carboy that
has its end in water like a wick and a fan blowing on it. This will
drop the temp about 4-6*. I have fermented at this temp with no issues
but it will be at your own risk as you will be voiding the warranty.

at 1.030, 80 is fine as the bulk of the exothermic portion of fermentation is complete. You don't really want to go higher than that, especially during the fast boiling stage of fermentation, as temps can rise fast, and the yeast will cook and die, causing a stalled fermentation. I get a lot of summertime fermentations that go very fast like that. My crush last year got above 85 in the cap and I was still fine.

As you do more batches you will learn that different yeasts will also ferment faster than others. We always start checking the SG afew days before the instructions say to, then do the next step by the SG reading and not a time frame.colder temps generally mean a slower fermentation,warmer a faster... we try to keep ours around 70*.We found we get the best results.Look on the resources tab on this website and you will find a link to the yeast manufacture website.....found it to help us.

Chevyguy is right. You need to go by SG not time. You need to be sure that it is still fermenting when you transfer to secondary so that a CO2 cap builds in the carboy preventing oxidation.

If you have a kit that includes significant oak, this might mean that the kit is not on the oak for so long. You can compensate by adding oak chips in the carboy as well. Of course you might not like things too oakey so it may not be an issue for you.

peterCooper said:
Chevyguy is right. You need to go by SG not time. You need to be sure that it is still fermenting when you transfer to secondary so that a CO2 cap builds in the carboy preventing oxidation.

If you have a kit that includes significant oak, this might mean that the kit is not on the oak for so long. You can compensate by adding oak chips in the carboy as well. Of course you might not like things too oakey so it may not be an issue for you.

Unless it is a RJ Spagnols kit or other that specifies to finish fermentation in the primary. Always go by instructions as they have done much research into the best way to do each individual kit and because if you do not go by the instructions you will void the manufacturer's warranty.

Back