Fermenting in 90 plus degrees.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCGoodin

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a Barbaresco in secondary and a Old Vine Zin, Calif Zin, Diamanti Choco Strawberry Port and an Diamanti Ice Wine in primary.

I live in Arizona and the air conditioner, upstairs, just went out. I'll get someone to fix it tomorrow. All primary wines are perculating, but by the end of the day the temps are getting up to 91 degrees.

What problems should I look for? Will the fermentation go to quickly? What happens if it ferments to fast?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hello Everyone,

I have a Barbaresco in secondary and a Old Vine Zin, Calif Zin, Diamanti Choco Strawberry Port and an Diamanti Ice Wine in primary.

I live in Arizona and the air conditioner, upstairs, just went out. I'll get someone to fix it tomorrow. All primary wines are perculating, but by the end of the day the temps are getting up to 91 degrees.

What problems should I look for? Will the fermentation go to quickly? What happens if it ferments to fast?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ouch... no AC in AZ??? I dont have any answers but my condolences...

most people in az dont have ac/ they have evap coolers.
better then your in goodyear then tucson.
put the carboy somewhere that you can wrap a blanket around it and wet it...the evaporation will cool it down quick.
i lived in tucson for 16 years....never had ac, just a swamp cooler.

most people in az dont have ac/ they have evap coolers.
better then your in goodyear then tucson.
put the carboy somewhere that you can wrap a blanket around it and wet it...the evaporation will cool it down quick.
i lived in tucson for 16 years....never had ac, just a swamp cooler.

I just moved from phoenix and I didnt know anyone who didnt have ac. Swamp coolers in the garage maybe... or as a backup. But I have a evap system for my buckets and carboys. Set them in a big bin. Wrap with a towel (partially in the water). I have a fish tank water pump with holey tubing wrapped around the towel to keep the water circulating and i set a fan on med and let it cool.

Ok, I got a regular air conditioner. It's 10 years old and starting to wear out. A lot like me.

The fix-it guy found a pin hole leak in the refrigerant line. The refrigerant is like $165.00 per pound. Just $500.00 to get it fixed. You know we'd do anything for our fermenting wine. The yeast was jumping and celebrating after the cool air circled the carboys. I think I'll be ok. I was going to wrap the carboys in cool wet towels until I got the all clear. I'll save that trick if it happens again. God forbid....................Thanks for all your concerns and responses.

when i lived in tucson, most there had the swamp coolers.
i ended up having both on a digital thermostat, when humidity was low, the cooler worked when it was high the ac worked.

when i lived in tucson, most there had the swamp coolers.
i ended up having both on a digital thermostat, when humidity was low, the cooler worked when it was high the ac worked.

Yeah, I've heard the hotter the temperature and dry air, the swamp cooler worked best. The opposite of that, during Iowa winters, the colder it got the more the radiators made the home toasty warm.

Ok, I got a regular air conditioner. It's 10 years old and starting to wear out. A lot like me.

The fix-it guy found a pin hole leak in the refrigerant line. The refrigerant is like $165.00 per pound. Just $500.00 to get it fixed. You know we'd do anything for our fermenting wine. The yeast was jumping and celebrating after the cool air circled the carboys. I think I'll be ok. I was going to wrap the carboys in cool wet towels until I got the all clear. I'll save that trick if it happens again. God forbid....................Thanks for all your concerns and responses.

Here in the CA Desert we don't run the AC unless we're going to be home most of the day (like 2-3 days a week) so in my office/wine lab it stays about 78-85. I use the evap bin everyday so it's always in the 68-75 range. Goes through about 2 1/2 gallons of water a day though.

Gonna have to set up a second one soon. 2013-07-07 17.29.59.jpg
The 35qt bin will hold two 3 gal carboys. I want to see if I can get a bigger one to hold 2 of the fermenter buckets :)

ON the topic of what happens when you ferment wine that hot...typically, bad things for your flavor. Especially with whites. I did it once with a white (by accident) and it was non-drinkable.

Latest posts

Back