Fermentation will not start

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyder89

Junior
Reaction score
Crushed and pressed 80+ lbs. of Niagara grapes and added 5/16 tsp of sodium metabisulfite along with 7 1/2 tsp acid blend and about 2 1/2 lbs. of sugar to bring the brix up to 23 on 9/22/14. Racked off the pulp on 9/23/14(because there was a bunch of pulp) and dropped in d47 yeast. Fermentation hasn't begun yet and I'm not sure what to do at this point? I did add some yeast nutrient on 9/24 hoping to get it going but still no luck. Temperature of where the must is sitting(my garage) ranges from high 50's to low 70's. Also all that is covering the must is paper towels wrapped around the top of my 5 gallon and 1 gallon carboys. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A few things come to mind . .

Did you mix up the k-meta and acid blend? I doubt it, but I suppose it should be asked.

Did you hydrate your yeast before adding? It is recommended to hydrate according to the manufacturer's directions and using go-ferm helps.

Is the temp too low? try heating it up. It may be slowly getting going and may take off.

Was your yeast old?

Yes I did put the K-meta and acid blend in at the same time. Is that not a good thing to do?

I did not do a starter solution this time. Usually I do one but was too rushed this time so I didn't do one.

The yeast shouldn't be too old but it's possible that it is. Just bought it from a store the day before.

I'm thinking the temp is too low. I may have to move it inside the house where it is closer to 68 degrees.

That's a mighty small amount of meta for 80# of grapes. You should have used 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons.

Then you added nutrient before the yeast took off. When you don't have biological control, then add nutrient without the yeast being active, you are feeding competing organisms in the must that can give the yeast a hard time starting.

I would make a yeast starter--get it going and add to smaller amounts of the crush until you get it going really good, then add it to the rest of the crush. Get the temp a little warmer too. When it takes off, then you can keep the ferment around 70 degrees for a cool ferment.

Thank you for the info

Turock,

Thanks for the info. I will try the starter solution tonight. For the meta I should have said it this way "I put in 5, 1/16th tsp's of meta" which is I believe 1/16 tsp more than 1/4 tsp. I read on another post to use 1/16 tsp per gallon of must of the meta. Maybe I put in too much?

That small amount should not prevent the ferment from starting unless you added the meta and immediately pitched the culture. You have to wait at least 12 hrs for the SO2 to dissipate some. We always use pectic enzyme on Niagara because it has such a big pulp. So then we pitch the enzyme, wait another 12 hrs for extraction, the set the PH and brix and pitch the culture. Also---always split you nutrient dose into 2 doses and add the first dose when the yeast becomes active. Second dose at 50% sugar reduction.

I had a problem with fermentation once.

I used Kmeta according to instructions for six gallon batch.

Loosely covered, Waited 48 hrs.

Sugared to 1.08 SG ( double checked)

Adjusted acids with acid blend.

Brought must temp to 75 F

****whipped vigorously with degassing tool to introduce a loads of O2***** ( this was key)

Hydrated EC-1118, pitched.

Fermentation started in less than eight hours and ran strong until dry.

It was so frustrating. I am a noob, but this worked for me. Yeast love lots of O2, nutrients, and a nice warm environment. Give them a nice head start with some luke warm water before pitching and a happy home and they will do their thing.

I really hope this helps. Good luck man. I think you may have pitched too early, killed the yeast, or the must is too low on O2. Give it a good whipping lol and pitch again.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Sorry by mix up acid and k meta I meant did you add one thinking it was the other. If you had added the amount of k meta that you thought was a of it would be too much.

My guess is you will be just fine warming it and maybe pitching yeast again.

I have had trouble getting some started over time using starters and have been sprinkling yeast now and have had better luck, not the right term, no luck involved, all educated right? Usually if one doesn't start it I try the other but have added more than one packet of yeast to get it going thinking I had old yeast. Don't know grapes but warming my musts up seems to help, till it generates its own heat. I think giving more time from adding KMS to yeast is very important. Still a beginner after 4 years.

Don't add acid blend before fermentation has started. You'd be better off adding acid blend after fermentation is complete and the wine is clearing then only add it to taste. Check the acidity of your must. You are making it extremely hard for the yeast to live let alone thrive if you've made the must into an acid bath. Check your pH and try to get it up to 3.8 with potassium carbonate. On your next batch skip the acid blend completely and watch your yeast take off. I just prepared a mango wine last weekend and fed my ICV-D47 yeast and made them happy and the wine was bone dry in three days and noticeable bubbling was done in 4 1/2 days. No acid used except 3 tbsp lemon juice to hydrolyze my sugar. My batch size was 3 gallons. Always rehydrate your yeast and make them foam with adding a little must. It takes 15-30 minutes. Sloppy winemakers don't tend to to make good wine. Plan your work and work your plan and you will be much more pleased with your results. Ditch the acid blend and rehydrate and proof your yeast and you will not have problems with fermentation starting.

I disagree with adding acid after the fermentation has started. The way this should be done is to take PH readings and adjust pre-ferment. On Niagara, you want a PH of 3.2--you do not want a PH of 3.8 on it as it will taste like dishwater and the wine will need large amounts of sulfite for preservation at that PH. White wines should be crisp--I would never recommend high PH for white wines. We make alot of Niagara and have 25 years experience with this grape--not many people do because it's only available in the East and Midwest. It needs special handling, as it's more like a fruit than a wine grape.

As stated above, acid additions are best done prior to fermentation but they can be done after if they need to be. It is also best to create as starter when possible and to use a rehydration nutrient as well.

What are you fermenting in? If a carboy, try switching to buckets. You may not be letting enough O2 in.

Provided there were no mistakes in chemical additions, you can drop your fermenter in a bathtub with 6-8" of 80 degree water. That will usually kick off the ferment and once it's vigorously bubbling you can move it to a cooler (65-70) area. This has worked for me on many occasions, most recently with Frontenac on K1-V1116 yeast.

Fermentation is running good now

All thanks for all the info. I believe the main problem was too cold a temperature. My garage where my girlfriend insisted on the violent fermentation taking place in case of a mess was too cold. Finally I bought some large pails to let the carboy sit in just in case there was some over flow and moved the carboy to the basement where the temperature is closer to 70 degrees. I also opened another packet of yeast and re-hydrated it, then slowly added half must half water solutions to it and got it going good then introduced it to the whole must. Fermentation is running really good now.

What are you fermenting in? If a carboy, try switching to buckets. You may not be letting enough O2 in.

I only use buckets for my fruit wines. I use glass carboys for grape wines. I used a bucket to make a white grape wine last year and it left a funny plastic taste in the wine even though I switched to a glass carboy after the violent fermentation.

All thanks for all the info. I believe the main problem was too cold a temperature. My garage where my girlfriend insisted on the violent fermentation taking place in case of a mess was too cold. Finally I bought some large pails to let the carboy sit in just in case there was some over flow and moved the carboy to the basement where the temperature is closer to 70 degrees. I also opened another packet of yeast and re-hydrated it, then slowly added half must half water solutions to it and got it going good then introduced it to the whole must. Fermentation is running really good now.

Haha!! Congrats man.

Latest posts

Back