fermentation stopped-help?-adding 2nd batch of yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
I started a 1 gallon batch of Blueberry Pomegranate.

1gallon of langers pomblue (no preservative)
1/2 tsp nutrient
1/2 tsp tannin
3/4 tsp peptic enzyme
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 campden tab
SG of 1.080

added the yeast on sat (lalvin 1118)
And all seem to be progressing, foaming, yeast smell etc....

I got home today to notice that everything seems to have calmed down. I gave it a stir and it bubbled, but has since calmed down.
Now it got warm around here in the great northeast over the weekend and unbeknownst to me my wife shut the heat off. so during the day my house probably got down to the mid to low 60s.
When I got home I put a heater patch on the bucket and wrapped it with a blanket to try and raise the temp.

If the yeast stopped due to temp or what ever reason, is there a harm in adding a 2nd batch of yeast to try and get it going again?

bluepom.jpg

Elmer said:
I started a 1 gallon batch of Blueberry Pomegranate.

1gallon of langers pomblue (no preservative)
1/2 tsp nutrient
1/2 tsp tannin
3/4 tsp peptic enzyme
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 campden tab
SG of 1.080

added the yeast on sat (lalvin 1118)
And all seem to be progressing, foaming, yeast smell etc....

I got home today to notice that everything seems to have calmed down. I gave it a stir and it bubbled, but has since calmed down.
Now it got warm around here in the great northeast over the weekend and unbeknownst to me my wife shut the heat off. so during the day my house probably got down to the mid to low 60s.
When I got home I put a heater patch on the bucket and wrapped it with a blanket to try and raise the temp.

If the yeast stopped due to temp or what ever reason, is there a harm in adding a 2nd batch of yeast to try and get it going again?

What is your SG now ?

I don't think adding a second yeast packet will hurt. I've had to do that once with a skeeterpee. Though when your must warms up, it may just take off again. I don't know that 60 F would kill yeast. I've stored a yeast slurry for skeeterpee in the fridge. When you thinking about it, adding a packet of yeast is not that much yeast as yeast can double in number every 2 hous under perfect conditions. The question may be if the temperature is not the cause, why did it stop. In my case i also added more nutrient. someone with more experience can comment on whether your fruit wine ingredients seem correct.

Adding in some ripe bananas couldn't hurt either! It helped my blueberry ferment.

Another pack of yeast won't hurt but I am not sure if it will help. Mid to low 60's would not have stoped 1118 from working. Are you stirring your must everyday? And what temp do you have it at now? What is a heater patch? Make sure this does not make your must too warm.

I dont know the exact temp of the must. I have a strip Thermometer sitting next to the bucket and that says 66. The only Thermometer I have in the house is an armpit thermometer, for kids.

The attached picture is what I woke up to this morning. I have been stirring it before work and when I get home. I have some foam when I wake up, after I stir it goes back to the initial picture I posted.

The heater patch I speak of is a heat patch for my hermit crab aquarium. Since the crab was not using it, I put it to other use. I strap it the side and put a bungie chord around it to secure it. the patch indicates "Raises air temperature of terrariums 5 to 10 degrees higher than room temperature."
I have used it on my last 3 batchs and it did not cause an issue!
it can be found here: Zoo Med Repti-Therm Under Tank Heaters

I use this heater patch because my local supply store does not carry a brew belt and my house can be cold on occassion. However I have only once had an issue getting yeast started.

Could it have been the campden Tab? (but I put one in my other 1 gallon batches, and the juice had no preservatives?)

could it be a bad batch of yeast?
or just slow yeast?

thanks for help

bluemust.jpg

Elmer said:
I dont know the exact temp of the must. I have a strip Thermometer sitting next to the bucket and that says 66. The only Thermometer I have in the house is an armpit thermometer, for kids.

The attached picture is what I woke up to this morning. I have been stirring it before work and when I get home. I have some foam when I wake up, after I stir it goes back to the initial picture I posted.

The heater patch I speak of is a heat patch for my hermit crab aquarium. Since the crab was not using it, I put it to other use. I strap it the side and put a bungie chord around it to secure it. the patch indicates "Raises air temperature of terrariums 5 to 10 degrees higher than room temperature."
I have used it on my last 3 batchs and it did not cause an issue!
it can be found here: Zoo Med Repti-Therm Under Tank Heaters

I use this heater patch because my local supply store does not carry a brew belt and my house can be cold on occassion. However I have only once had an issue getting yeast started.

Could it have been the campden Tab? (but I put one in my other 1 gallon batches, and the juice had no preservatives?)

could it be a bad batch of yeast?
or just slow yeast?

thanks for help

I like my temp to be 70/75* range. If you have your temp there and your hydrometer isn't dropping it won't hurt to give it another packet of yeast. Bear in mind that some ferments are very subtle. You have to rely on your hydrometer for those. Another thought being some ferments take longer to start than others. Once it does start it will create its own heat so be careful with that heater.

From the looks of your last photo, it is fermenting well. All that foam and bubbles have to be coming from somewhere!

Are you checking SG with a hydrometer or a refractometer. You should be checking it with a hydrometer.

If you choose to add yeast, build it up a bit by hydrating as usual, then add some of your fermenting wine, a little at a time, to acclimate the little yeasties to their new, more harsh environment. Good luck!-mj

You must inoculate with yeast if you want fermentation. Adding more yeast won't hurt, but if you're experiencing stuck fermentation you should probably consider making a starter...perhaps with another strain of yeast. If you think it's going to be more than a couple of days before you get to it, at least treat with metabisulphite to ensure no bacteria can move in. If that happens, you might as well toss the whole batch! Good luck!

Also, I agree that it appears to be fermenting fine. Sometimes fermentation looks like that all the way through primary.

MY SG is now at 1.060
So it is fermenting, just slower than I am used to.
I am used to having the thick layer of bubbles and foam.
At this rate it will take 2 weeks just to get to the secondary.

When I stir all that yeast settled on top dissipates and I can see slight movement, so something is happening, just not as quickly as I am used to or would like!

Could the fact that the juice I used had Citiric Acid have anything to do with the slow fermentation?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sometimes you just have a nice slow ferment and I really think that a nice slow ferment produces a very good wine. I had an apple wine that took over two months to ferment to dry and that wine was one of my better apple wines.

Blueberries have naturally occuring sorbate in them, which is why it's so tough to get a ferment going. When working with this fruit, it's imperative to make a yeast starter, instead of just pitching the yeast as you can do on other fruit.

well I have an SG of 1.050, so it is moving. Just slowly.
So considering the slowness of the fermintation, should I still rack to secondary between 1.040 & 1.020?

Or is there a different process for slow ferments?

Elmer said:
well I have an SG of 1.050, so it is moving. Just slowly.
So considering the slowness of the fermintation, should I still rack to secondary between 1.040 & 1.020?

Or is there a different process for slow ferments?

I would leave it in the bucket until at or close to 1.020

I would leave it in the bucket and when sg is down to 1.010, snap the lid down and add an airlock.

I would leave it in the bucket and when sg is down to 1.010, snap the lid down and add an airlock.

Is there a benefit or difference between keeping it in the bucket at 1.010/1.020 to say racking it to a 1 gallon jug?

You can't transfer too early because all the CO2 in the wine will blow the airlock off. Try to get as close to 1.00 as you can. The CO2 in the wine, currently, will protect it as you try to get the SG lower.

You can't transfer too early because all the CO2 in the wine will blow the airlock off. Try to get as close to 1.00 as you can. The CO2 in the wine, currently, will protect it as you try to get the SG lower.

in most all my batches I have transfered between 1.050 and 1.000.
I did have 1 batch I kept in the fermenting bucket during secondary.
However I have never had an airlock blown-off. And I still have my rocket fuel in secondary for the last 2 weeks (which is still cooking like crazy).

(Elmer's hot Spicey rocket fuel 17% made with Sorreno peppers!)

Back