Fermentation Question.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidNW

Reaction score
Hello,

My Kenridge Classic Shiraz went into the second stage of fermentation 2 days ago. So, 2 days after racking to the carboy I have noticed that fermentation is slower than usual.

I have just done a hydrometer test and the reading is 0.995 - which is the actual target gravity. This usually takes a full 12 days to achieve. Fermentation is still taking place; albeit very slowly.

My question is - will the sediment which the wine is sitting in impair the wine; as technically, the wine still has 10 more days (out of the 12) to remain in the carboy? Should I rack again now, or leave things as they are for the next 10 days?

Many thanks in advance,

David.

Let it alone for the rest of the time and let the fermentation finish. I always leave mine for 14 days after transfering to the secondary at a SG or 1.000-1.005. Sitting on the lees at this point wont impair your wine. Once you are sure that fermentation is finished, proceed as per instructions

cheers

Let it alone for the rest of the time and let the fermentation finish. I always leave mine for 14 days after transfering to the secondary at a SG or 1.000-1.005. Sitting on the lees at this point wont impair your wine. Once you are sure that fermentation is finished, proceed as per instructions

cheers

Many thanks for your help. I'll leave things alone.

There are really two schools of thought here, neither one is incorrect.

One school, as puterr said, is to allow the wine to age slightly before you remove the gross lees. Some feel that this will bring more of a yeasty quality (and other benefits) to the end product.

Another school, the one I subscribe to, is to rack early and remove the gross lees just as soon a possible. I find that I run less of a risk of late developing H2S issues. I am also not a fan of "yeasty" wines (but that is just me).

the H2S can really be a problem if left on gross lees to long. don't the instructions on the kit require addition of fining agents once moved to secondary. once clear rack.

the H2S can really be a problem if left on gross lees to long. don't the instructions on the kit require addition of fining agents once moved to secondary. once clear rack.

The basic instructions are:

Ist Stage - 7 days in the pail
2nd Stage - 12 days in a carboy, then rack to another carboy and add potassium metabisuphite and kieselsol - then stir several times over 2 days.

However, I don't do that. I rack to a pail and add the potassium metabisuphite and kieselsol - then degas with a wine wand attached to an electric drill for 20 minutes - then rack back to a carboy and add chitosan, then leave to clear (about 8 days, then bottle). The wine is very acceptable at bottling time, but I keep back a few bottles for laying down for 3 and six months.

Latest posts

Back