Fermentation help please!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCGruv187

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm relatively new to winemaking with only a few kits under my belt. I wanted to try using a juice pail this time so I got a 5.3 gallon pail of Sangiovese from a local produce wholesaler here in Pa. According to the guy at the store he just pours the juice into a demijohn or carboy, covers the top with a piece of clean cloth. It will begin to ferment automatically, after a week or so it will slow down and he throws an airlock on it and let's it sit for 4-6 weeks. Then he will rack and top off and let sit for 6-8 months or longer depending on the varietal, racking every couple months.

I poured the bucket into my primary fermentation bucket abd airlocked it. I checked my SG (1.085) in the beginning. It bubbled pretty constantly for a few days then slowed. I check SG at day 10 and it was only 1.020. So I let it sit until day 16 and check it again it was at 1.000. I racked it into a carboy and airlocked it figuring if I leave it for a few more weeks and it should get down to .995. At least that is my hope.
In hinesight I should have pitched yeast instead of relying on the wild. What do I do if the SG won't drop?

You are doing fine.

If your SG is 1.000 for three days you have the choice to:
-Stabilize with kmeta and keep the wine off-dry
-Pitch more yeast to try to get the wine to dry

The pail may already be inoculated with yeast, so it may be OK in that regard.

Some juice buckets are pre innoculated with wine yeast.

Maybe yours was too.

Latest posts

Back