Fermentation bucket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s w

Junior
Reaction score
I have a few 2 gallon plastic fermenting buckets that I've used for one gallon batches. Now, I want to experiment a bit and make half gallon size batches. Is the 2 gallon bucket too big to use as fermenting bucket for half gallon batches?
I've ordered gallon size fermenting jars with lids and air locks,, but they aren't here yet and I'm getting antsy to experiment some DDB. Thank you for any ideas.

Typically, not too large. The issue of headroom is only after you rack into the secondary when the active fermentation has ended. The problem is that the yeast is no longer pumping out CO2 and that blanket will quickly dissipate and when it does the wine has nothing to inhibit oxidation. This is why your secondary should have no headroom.

Many seasoned wine makers on this forum may simply cover a bucket with a cloth to keep out dirt and pets and flies while active fermentation is ongoing. That means the headroom is as large as the sky.

Great. I've been using sanitized mesh as a cover for the last couple ferments so I guess headroom in the bucket is a non issue and I never wait around to rack to secondary and lock. This time I won't try to drive up the ABV then get scared that I've made a mistake and try to stop the fermentation. I'm still waiting on one to stop in secondary in spite of all the additives I've thrown at it. As I've been told it's pretty much a bad thing and since I used strong yeast it's going to be a while. Thank you.

in a at home setting you can pretty much forget stopping a ferment, well unless you add a neutral spirit, i agree 100% with Bernard & AJ, until my ferment is over i stir my musts daily to get as much oxygen as possible, if your ferment dries out around 1.000 or lower 3 days in a row, you can put plastic over your bucket for short term or if you have lids for them buckets, but make sure your hydrometer stays the same for 3 days, you can weather a few days with lids snapped on, again make sure you hydrometer stays the same 3 days in a row.
Dawg

Latest posts

Back