Favorite wine region

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im not a fan of many wine regions in america.. My favorite is the champagne region of France, cause I love champagne... But my favorite reds come from Chili, Argentina, and France

Maybe on her 30th anniversary we'll go to Missouri, New Mexico, France, Chile or Argentina. LOL
Thanks for your comments!!

You lucky devil you!! In Wisconsin, there is not normally a fee to taste, but we have paid in other states. CA was charging $15 for 3 tastes at some of the BIG, fancy wineries!! You'll NEED that $1,000!! Just for samples!

Debbie
:dg

Yeah, a grand sounds like a lot of money, but it won't go that far on this trip.
But still---------------

Just went to the Fingerlakes region in NY, wonderfull white wines and cheap tastings (free to $5). The reds leave alot to be desired but there around a 100 wineries at this point and some beautifull scenery, I would recommend it to anyone.

Headed to NYS in 3 weeks... no Finger Lakes this trip. Garden can't be left too long!

Debbie

I went across and saw the falls a few years ago. Just don't have time this year... will visit family and head back to get the gardening done! Picking waits for no man... or woman!

Debbie

My personal vote would be for the Central Coast. I love Santa Barbara County for the syrahs and pinots, and Paso Robles for the zins and Rhone blends. Probably not real convenient if flying into San Fran unless you're willing to do some driving though.

If staying close to San Fran, I'd do the tourist thing around the wharf for a day and then hit Sonoma (first choice) and/or Napa (second choice). Plus, a side trip to Yosemite would be awesome, if time permits.

If I ever move out of CA (I moved to Los Angeles about 20 years ago from Indiana), my ideal trip would be to fly into San Fran, drive down the Pacific Coast Highway through Monterey and Carmel, eventually cut over to Paso and then drop down to Los Olivos/Solvang/Lompoc in Santa Barbara County, and then I'd fly out of LAX. One of the most beautiful stretches of road in the country, and fantastic wine in areas that offer more for your $$$ than Napa, IMHO.

Last edited:
Hermann! :)

We have a Calfornia based winery that setup a tasting room here, owned by the Dierbergs (same people own Hermanhof winery, lots of First Bank and the grocery chain by the same name). They are buying up property all over town. We'll be the 6th winery within 10 miles of town and there are 3 or so more withing 30 minute drive.

Back