Favorite thing about wine making?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sangwitch

Reaction score
What's your favorite thing about making wine? Is it the process? The learning? The finished product? The sharing with friends? The drinking buzz? The inner scientist perhaps?

I know it's a combination of everything that makeswine makingso joyful, but is there one thing above all that really stands out for you? Maybe it changes?

I'm so pumped about the endless possiblities right now. I've been collecting recipes of all the different wines I want to try. I spent close toan hour in thetea aisle atthe grocery store earlier today just thinking about all the various meads I can make! Every time I go shopping now I'm always on the lookout for fruits and juices that I can ferment.
smiley23.gif

Absolutely, positively the finished product, but do like having them going. As to the inner scientist
smiley11.gif
!

I actually like making it more than drinking it. I do enjoy sipping it but the art behind creating the final product is what interests me the most.

Smurfe

I pretty much enjoy equally each facet, from creating the recipe to sharing the finished product. I guess in reality my "mad scientist" is dominant as I do enjoy the "what if I did this instead"

I like all aspects of it - the thinking, the doing, the sharing and the satisfaction of having done it myself.
smiley4.gif

Least liked part of it? The used bottle label cleaning(with those stubborn labels).
smiley5.gif

I truly enjoy drinking wine as much as I do making it and I am obsessed with the science part about it (like you all didn't know that). I am always trying to learn more and and not just how to do it but why you do it.

I really do get great satisfaction in helping others who share the same passion for this as I do.

I'm with Masta about the the drinking.
However, I do run to the carboy about every five minutes to check on the bubbles and the plock plock plock of the fermentation process.

I like the whole process and drinking the results is a real reward of accomplishment. I am surprised the whole process is as easy as it is. I wished I had studied chemistry more to understand the how and why of the process. Really great process and great people on this forum.

I agree with Masta. I enjoy the finished product as well as the process of wine making; I may lean a bit stronger on the making portion. In fact this hobby has hooked me fast and I want to get a second carboy, a carboy heater, another couple of selections started and have been reading like a “mad scientist”.

I also find my self spending more time at this site........

It is a fascinating hobby. At firt i thought it was not going to be interesting.
Im reading brew chem 101 now. I started reading it a few months back but it made little sense at that time.
Right now the endless amount to learn is first then the actuall process is next.

Watching the foam and bubbles is exiting though((What is happening to me???? foam and bubbles exiting!!!
smiley36.gif
)))

There's something to be said about all the attention from family and friends too!

sangwitch said:
There's something to be said about all the attention from family and friends too!

Do you mean the suggestions that you attend an AA meeting?????
smiley36.gif

For me it's the popping of the cork and enjoying the finished product. We have a fire pit in the back yard and so far (until the last couple of weeks) a warm winter. We could start the fire, pop a cork, and sit back and enjoy; sometime with friends, sometimes by ourselves, sometimes just me alone.

Cleaning bottles with labelshas to be my least favorite and second to least favorite aspect of the hobby/addiction (it's a close third too). Sometimes I'd rather buy new bottles than scrape old ones.

I like doing it......because I can.

I think I like most growing the fruits, then the harvest and making the wine....admiring it on the shelves and then you get to drink it and share it with friends....

IT'S ALL GOOD!!!!

Wow! That's a tough one, sang!

I love the smell, sound, and feel of working yeast! I also love the entire creative end of it. Making good wine and then making it look good is important to me. I love being able to share what I do with friends and family.

My least favorite part is going to make it and finding out I'm 1 ingredient short!
smiley7.gif

Edited by: wade

I like to tinkerwith things. Never could follow a recipe either. I think I made one kit per instruction so far and it's the one I like least. warning : do this at your own risk. A little extra oak here, maybe a tea bag with a Chardonnay, the limits are endless.

I like the way it always gives me something to look forward to. And it is always different too. I'm still learning all the aspects of the finer points like the chemistry involved and why things happen the way they do.
I love to make the labels.
I love giving it away.
I love sitting around my table with my daughter and friends opening one bottle after another having a good time.
I love it mostly because of all the friends i have made.
and I just plain out love wine!!!! Ramona

After much worrying and a little laboring, enjoying something that I made myself, and knowing that it is really good.
Dave

Latest posts

Back