Fastferment too fast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey Gool

Junior
Reaction score
I started my process on 10/10 and less than 2 weeks later I see this. Fermenting process was normal, aggressive in the beginning and dwindling as days went on. Now I see no movement and the ring shown. Is this normal?

Attachments

• 20211018_091923.jpg
    20211018_091923.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 51
Normal? You started your alcoholic fermentation 12 days ago. Under normal circumstances at an ambient temperature in the 70's it's normal for the AF to be complete. However, you did not provide much information.

1. What was your starting gravity?
2. What yeast did you use?
3. What are you making? Is it a kit? What variety?
4. What was the temp?
5. What is the gravity now?

I did not check gravity.
No yeast.
Cabernet Sauvignon. No kit.
72 deg.
Did not check gravity yet, should I now?
Is that ring mark shown a normal occurrence?
Thanks in advance.

The ring is just residual from the foam created during fermentation. IMO, it’s normal - especially for a vigorous ferment and one that you described.

You indicate that you didn’t use yeast. That can only mean that you had a native ferment. Meaning the yeast (naturally occurring and actually everywhere) resident in the area ON the grapes played a role in the alcoholic fermentation.

To check the gravity, you need to employ a hydrometer which can be purchased at a HBS or amazon. They are cheap and an essential tool. IF your gravity is 1.000 or less, it’s dry. Although, it could go lower. If it gets to .990 you can have confidence it’s done.

Since it’s not a kit, where did the grapes come from? How did you crush them? Describe your fermentation vessel. What’s your plan for a malolactic fermentation and lastly, what’s your plan to settle, clear and bottle your wine?

Last edited:
Using juice that came in 6 gal bucket. I have a hygrometer. I'm using the fast ferment (see photo). I may use clarifying agent when done, not sure at this time.

Attachments

• 20211010_192122.jpg
    20211010_192122.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
The ring is normal. You should transfer to a smaller vessel to remove the airspace, air lock, and let the wine degass and self clarify. Then only if needed apply clarifying agents.

Using juice that came in 6 gal bucket. I have a hygrometer. I'm using the fast ferment (see photo). I may use clarifying agent when done, not sure at this time.
A lot of juice buckets come in a Brix 21-23 (they start at Brix 27-28 and are watered back (at least the one from Northern Brewer/Midwest Supplies which I confirmed with the manufacturer)). Most have yeast pinched already (a lot of times it is RC212 or EC 118). You are probably finished. I’d check the pH if you can. I had juice buckets come in at pH 3.82 last year.

A lot of juice buckets come in a Brix 21-23 (they start at Brix 27-28 and are watered back (at least the one from Northern Brewer/Midwest Supplies which I confirmed with the manufacturer)). Most have yeast pinched already (a lot of times it is RC212 or EC 118). You are probably finished. I’d check the pH if you can. I had juice buckets come in at pH 3.82 last year.
Thanks, appreciate your help.

@Mikey Gool, a lot of questions were asked, huh?

Everything asked may affect the answers to your questions. Specific Gravity is critical, as there is a huge difference between an Original Gravity (OG) of 1.070 and 1.120.

5 to 7 days is a typical ferment time, although many factors can shorten or lengthen it. Your wine sounds like it's progressing fine. At this point you want to follow the previously offered advice and eliminate your head space. During fermentation an open bucket is good, as the yeast uses O2 for reproduction. Once fermentation is done, O2 is your enemy.

@Mikey Gool, a lot of questions were asked, huh?

Everything asked may affect the answers to your questions. Specific Gravity is critical, as there is a huge difference between an Original Gravity (OG) of 1.070 and 1.120.

5 to 7 days is a typical ferment time, although many factors can shorten or lengthen it. Your wine sounds like it's progressing fine. At this point you want to follow the previously offered advice and eliminate your head space. During fermentation an open bucket is good, as the yeast uses O2 for reproduction. Once fermentation is done, O2 is your enemy.
Great, thanks for the heads up.

Latest posts

Back