Fast Fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdhunter

Junior
Reaction score
Recently I started a WE White Merlot and a WE Argentine Malbec on the same day. The White merlot seemed much more aggressive in the primary. After 5 days the white Merlot was 1.010 and the Malbec was 1.020 so I transfered both of them to the carboys.

Now comes the funny part. After just a couple days in the carboy the Malbec fermentation has almost completely stopped and the SG is .992 already. It seemed as if the white merlot was fermenting at a much quicker pace......yet the malbec as very quickly passed it.

The Malbec is my first "red" so maybe this is normal?

Both wines are stored at exactly 72 degrees.

It is normal and from my experience over the years reds and the better whites usually ferment quicker.

The WE White Merlot is an awesome wine for this style and watch this one disappear quickly when it is finished!

Thanks again Masta!

I purchased this kit (White Merlot)because I had seen how much you enjoyed it! I snuck an early taste last night and could already tell it's going to be good! Actually, the Malbec has tasted pretty good already, too!

Some yeasts in my opinion really get that 2nd kick from racking. Maybe
its just me because I fasten the lid down with an airlock and it just
takes off again after getting that oxygen boost and gos nuts all over
again. I fasten the lid down cause I have a cat that freely gos in and
out of my basement and sleeps on anything that he can get onto and I
really dont want to try cat wine although I bet Martina probably has seen as how shes fermented everything else!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back