Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Jared0303

Junior
Reaction score
I just recently got a 3 gal fast ferment connical fermenter fory birthday. I'm thinking about returning it and getting 3 gallon carboys. I mostly do wines from fresh frozen fruit and I think they produce too much sediment for the connical fermenter to work correctly. What's everyone else's thaught? I have been using 1 gallon carboys for 2 years now and I'm looking to make bigger batches.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
Agreed. Unless you are going to use juice concentrates and not fresh fruit, the conical fermenter will be a royal pain. I personally use 3 gallon carboys because of the weight and my wine consumption rate. Edit (Correction/clarification Carboys for aging, 5 gallon bucket for fermenting.) At 72 the idea of moving or dealing with 5-6 gallon carboy is a non-starter. If I wanted larger batches I could (and have) used multiple carboys. One other point is that all but 4 of my "1 Gal" carboys are actually 4 liter carboys because they are recycling center sourced and Carlo Rossi containers are 4 liter not 1 gallon. That means that when I bottle I will always have at least one good glass of wine left to enjoy on bottling day.

Sounds like you have a working plan and moving up to 3 gallon carboys should work nicely for you. (Also if you can find a 1/8 tsp measuring spoon, that's the amount of K-meta for a 3 gallon batch of wine during your aging racking.

Last edited: