Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared0303

Junior
Reaction score
I just recently got a 3 gal fast ferment connical fermenter fory birthday. I'm thinking about returning it and getting 3 gallon carboys. I mostly do wines from fresh frozen fruit and I think they produce too much sediment for the connical fermenter to work correctly. What's everyone else's thaught? I have been using 1 gallon carboys for 2 years now and I'm looking to make bigger batches.

Agreed. Unless you are going to use juice concentrates and not fresh fruit, the conical fermenter will be a royal pain. I personally use 3 gallon carboys because of the weight and my wine consumption rate. Edit (Correction/clarification Carboys for aging, 5 gallon bucket for fermenting.) At 72 the idea of moving or dealing with 5-6 gallon carboy is a non-starter. If I wanted larger batches I could (and have) used multiple carboys. One other point is that all but 4 of my "1 Gal" carboys are actually 4 liter carboys because they are recycling center sourced and Carlo Rossi containers are 4 liter not 1 gallon. That means that when I bottle I will always have at least one good glass of wine left to enjoy on bottling day.

Sounds like you have a working plan and moving up to 3 gallon carboys should work nicely for you. (Also if you can find a 1/8 tsp measuring spoon, that's the amount of K-meta for a 3 gallon batch of wine during your aging racking.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back