Far-flung classic car sale tale that's all in the family

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jswordy

Reaction score

This is a kinda neat story...

My cousin restored this Chevelle back in the '80s, and it has been on a few car mag covers since then. Well, he has lived in NYC for the past 30 years but kept the car stored in our Illinois hometown, right next door to the house I grew up in.

My BIL and sister live in that same hometown today. I live in Tennessee and work in Alabama.

So I saw when my NYC cousin posted the car for sale on Facebook. My BIL is not on FB.

My BIL and sister were in the Bahamas at the time. I knew my BIL would buy it on the spot if he knew it was for sale. From Alabama, I texted him. As a fallback, I also PMed his son through FB.

His son also knew he'd buy it, so he called his Dad in the Bahamas directly.

My BIL then called me, said they can do calls down there but they get no texts! Good thing his son called him! I gave him my cousin in NYC's cell, and my BIL called and bought the car from him.

All this happened in about 3 hours.

LOL, the whole time the car was sitting in a garage about 20 miles from my BIL's place in Illinois, right next door to the house I grew up in! Now that's a good car story, right there!

Do you know any of the specs on the car? I'm a big gm guy and have a 73 nova my dad and I dragged for awhile. Just recently put a 4 speed in it and put it back on the street. Very nice chevelle your cousin, I mean brother in law has there!

Do you know any of the specs on the car? I'm a big gm guy and have a 73 nova my dad and I dragged for awhile. Just recently put a 4 speed in it and put it back on the street. Very nice chevelle your cousin, I mean brother in law has there!

It has been so long I can't remember. He and his brother both bought Chevelles, one a 66 and one a 67, in the early '80s, back when you could still get them cheap. They paid $200 each for the cars, running and driving, in two separate deals. Both legit SS. By the late '80s they had started on Dan's and when it was near done, they started on David's. I'm wanting to say by '89 or '90, both were done, but it may have been the early '90s when they were done. The cars have been on 2 Chevy magazine covers each and one combined, IIRC.

All I recall is that one is a 4-speed and one is auto. I believe both had 350s in them. They are numbers-matching cars. They have toured the Midwest to various car shows over the years, but mostly they just sit. So while it's an older restoration, it is pristine.

My Dad was the tech advisor on the bodywork and paint jobs. The brothers did all their own work, along with their dad. Fortunately, they did not succumb to doing the cars in the styles of the day, which has made them kind of timeless as far as how they look.

One day David just realized he had been in NYC for 30 years and his car sat in Illinois, and he decided to sell. Dan still has his Chevelle.

Here's Dan's on a trailer at my house.

nice story, my brother and I have my grandparents 63 Impala with 55,000 orig. miles on it. right now its at the body shop getting restored. is sat in Las Vegas for most of its life, shop guys are amazed at how little rust is on it making it a pretty easy job to get it back together.

Both very beautiful cars. I bet in a few years he'll kick himself for selling it

Latest posts

Back