Family Fun at the Smurfe's

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfe

Reaction score
I have to work Father's Day so we had a little family get together yesterday. It also happened to be my step son and nephew's birthday. We had a crab and shrimp boil along with some good B-Day cake and the kids enjoyed the pool. It was 97 here yesterday so the water felt great.

DSC00036.jpg

DSC00046.jpg

I didn't get a chance to snap a pic of any of the shrimp (these pics are from my cell phone), guess I could of pulled a few out of the fridge. They were huge, probably #8 count.

Thats a nice pool there smurf, must meep you busy with the upkeep. That food looks scrumdiddlyumptious!
smiley17.gif

It's not too bad. Since I added the Salt Water Chlorine Generator System to it the upkeep has dropped dramatically. I basically test it daily and throw the robot vac in it to clean it. Once a week I brush it down. That takes about a half hour. The salt system was the best thing I ever did for the pool. The water is much milder, eyes don't burn, suits don't bleach, those with blond hair don't turn green.

Now I just need to enclose the pool pavilion and air condition it. I have ceiling fans in it but it can still get warm at times. I actually wanted to enclose that pavilion to make into my winery. I don't have near the room in this house as I did in our last house to make wine. Edited by: smurfe

" Since I added the Salt Water Chlorine Generator System to it the
upkeep has dropped dramatically. And the crabs and the shrimp
must like it !
smiley36.gif

Looks like them youngens are having a blast smurf...and thats what it's all about. Those pictures of the crabs n shrimpare making my tummy growl.

Those shrimp sure look good. The crab would too except I'm allergic to crab and lobsters. Sounds like a good time was had by all.

After watching Deadliest Catch on the Discovery Channel, seeing crab makes me think of those guys
smiley36.gif
, wonder who caught that one.

JWMINNESOTA said:
After watching Deadliest Catch on the Discovery Channel, seeing crab makes me think of those guys
smiley36.gif
, wonder who caught that one.

I did
smiley1.gif
Lots of places to go crabbing around here.
smiley32.gif

The crab in the first pic looks like he is about to enjoy a feast, little does he know he is the feast!

Dave

Smurfe, Do you boil those crabs and shrimp? if so with what. When I do my mussels n clams I always use a little white wine and celery,onions and a cpl cloves of garlic. Have never cooked shrimpn crab always had them prepared beforeI received them.

Trigham said:
Smurfe, Do you boil those crabs and shrimp? if so with what. When I do my mussels n clams I always use a little white wine and celery,onions and a cpl cloves of garlic. Have never cooked shrimpn crab always had them prepared beforeI received them.

Yeah, we boil them here. Normally use the same stuff we boil crawfish with. There is numerous (dozens)different brands to buy. I use Zatarain's normally. It is a staple here.

http://shop.zatarains.com/default.php?categories_id=1390

Glad I don't have to order it because it cost half what they want for it on their site. I think I pat $4.50 for a sack size container of Pro Boil. The Brother in law and me were thinking of steaming them (crabs)the next time like they do on the East Coast for a change of pace.

I'm originally from the Big Apple where we steamed shellfish, clams, etc. & dipped them in melted butter. Now I'm in La. everything's got to be boiled, whether in oil ot water. All's good!

I like raw clams and shrimp with homemade cocktail sauce with a lot of fresh
ground horshradish and tabasco until your crying. Lobster and crabs get
boiled unless they are soft shelled, those get lightly beer battered
and go on toast with a little tartar.
Edited by: wade

With the price of lobster I doubt we will be having any this summer...price average is $14 a lb and $8.99 on sale which is more than double from previous years!

masta said:
With the price of lobster I doubt we will be having any this summer...price average is $14 a lb and $8.99 on sale which is more than double from previous years!

Masta, the catches are way down here in eastern canada, To be exact PEI, I was out trout fishing today again and was fly fishing witha shrimp fly off a wharf and when the lobster fisherman came in I asked how the catches were. They said Up a little today but generally down all over. The price even direct from the fisherman is about 6 or 7 dollars here. The problem is that they really do not want to sell any for cash cause they arent sure they will reach their quotas and they need so many lbs to sell to the wholesalers to meet their money obligations!! I feel bad for them! But thier poor catches drive the price up !! To make a long story short!!

masta said:
I looked at some lobster in here last weekend, it was $24 a pound. I guess that is the price you pay for being land locked.....

Our "Lobsters" only cost 99 cents a pound. We call them Crawfish.
smiley36.gif
Seriously, I don't know what real Lobster cost here. No one really eats them. What does fresh shrimp cost way up north? Edited by: smurfe

smurfe said:
Our "Lobsters" only cost 99 cents a pound. We call them Crawfish.
smiley36.gif
Seriously,
I don't know what real Lobster cost here. No one really eats eat. What
does fresh shrimp cost way up north?

mostly frozen farm raised shrimp here in NY. They taste pretty
good though. Normally 26 to 30 count at about $7 per pound.

Latest posts

Back