f-pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctshep97

Reaction score
i have some questions about a f-pack

1. what is a f-pack and it purpose.
2.when would you use an f-pack.
3. would you use it for 1 gallon fruit wines.
4. how does one make a f-pack.
t

An F-Pack is a flavor pack. Its' purpose is to add flavor back to a wine after fermentation is complete.You would use an f-pack when you deem a wine to be light on flavor. You can use an f-pack on any size batch of wine . To make an f-pack you take a certain amount of fruit with a little bit of water and cook it down. Strain the mixture and reduce over medium heat to one third its' volume. Add slowly and taste wine till you arrive at the taste you prefer. The amount of fruit is determined by the size of the batch.

BOB

ctshep97 said:
1. what is a f-pack and it purpose.

Flavor pack (f-pack) is used to enhance your wine with more fruit flavor, body and color
ctshep97 said:
2.when would you use an f-pack.
You would use it before adding clarifiers or fining agents(as it will probably cloud up your wine temporarily) and after stabilizing your wine with k-meta and k-sorb(if you don't do this it could continue fermentation and you would have wasted your time making an f-pack)

ctshep97 said:
3. would you use it for 1 gallon fruit wines.
You certainly could use it for a 1 gallon batch You would just use less fruit and sugar

ctshep97 said:
4. how does one make a f-pack.
Cut or smashed fruit and sugar, simmer in a sauce pan to extract juice. strain juice from pulp. Add to wine to achieve desired sweetness/flavor

Tepe and wade have way more experience than I do with F-packs. I'm sure they will input some more for you today. I hope I helped with your questions

Like what above said you should do

I only do f-pac's for my fruit wines. Take 20-30% of the weight used in making your fruit wine and simmer, strain and add to YOUR flavor.

I would also add some simple syrup for sweetness because the f-pac mostly adds "flavor" and only a little sweetness.

Simple syrup= 2 parts water to 1 part water. Boil water add sugar and simmer with a whisk till clear.

Good luck

Could I add an "f" pak after clarifying and bulk aging for 3 months? It's my first wine (basically a welches), and really has no flavor. I made pink alcohol.
smiley22.gif

mattsbrewery, You can make an "F" pack with more of the same type Welches you made the wine from. Depending on how sweet your wine finished initially would determing how much if any sugar you addded to the "f" pack. You will have to let it go through the clearing stage again but if you have the patience, it can be done.

Latest posts

Back