Cellar Craft Extended aging w/ warm temps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v1rotate

Reaction score
Hello Cellar Crafters. In the last 11 months I have made 13 WE kits with 2 more bulk aging and 1 in primary. After reading glowing reports about the CC w/ CGP kits, I ordered a Red Mountain Cab and a Rosso Fortissimo from George. I can't wait to start the kits after examining the skins pack, just have to wait for a carboy to open up.

My question is whether I should use an extended aging timeline if the carboy with the stabilized wine will be sitting on my tile floor in the kitchen. We keep the house at 77' in the summer here in Austin. My other option would be to use the minimum timeline of 5 weeks and put the bottles in the wine refrigerator to age.

I was thinking of 90 days from primary to bottling.

Thanks in advance for your help!

V1, just bottled the Red Mtn Cab a couple of months ago. I bottle age all my wine. I keep the house at 78 degrees in the summer as it is hotter and dryer here in AZ.
Can't wait to try this one!!!!!
smiley36.gif

Its not the temp that really kills a wine but temp changes. If you have lots of temp changes then the wine fridge is a better option but I would still give it more time in carboy then instructed per directions to make sure that the wine doesnt drop sediment in your bottles.

uavwmn said:
V1, just bottled the Red Mtn Cab a couple of months ago. I bottle age all my wine. I keep the house at 78 degrees in the summer as it is hotter and dryer here in AZ.
Can't wait to try this one!!!!!
smiley36.gif

Do you bottle age at 78' then? I know someone who does this in Tampa with decent results, but it makes me nervous. Especially for a big red that you might keep over 2 years before finishing!

wade said:
Its not the temp that really kills a wine but temp changes. If you have lots of temp changes then the wine fridge is a better option but I would still give it more time in carboy then instructed per directions to make sure that the wine doesnt drop sediment in your bottles.
Thanks, Wade. So you wouldn't have any qualms about starting the nice kits in the summer months here in Austin?

As long as you are within the temp range for fermentation that is fine. For storage, if you are not storing wine in the fridge at those temps then I wouldnt try keeping bottles for many years but I dont really see much problem with 1 1/2 years as long as temp changes are kept to a min.

wade said:
As long as you are within the temp range for fermentation that is fine. For storage, if you are not storing wine in the fridge at those temps then I wouldnt try keeping bottles for many years but I dont really see much problem with 1 1/2 years as long as temp changes are kept to a min.
Good! I don't know if I have enough discipline to wait until Fall to start these two fantastic looking kits.

The only challenge with bottling a Cellar Craft grape skin kit too early is the sediment. These kits tend to drop sediment for a long, long while. I just bottled & kegged my Malbec and there was still a lot of sediment in the carboy even after a year. I just checked my Amarone and I can see a bit in that one as well and it has only been aging since the end of January. As far as starting the kit, I live in the Tampa area and we keep the house between 70-75 year round so get another carboy so you can start those kits.
VPC

vcasey said:
The only challenge with bottling a Cellar Craft grape skin kit too early is the sediment. These kits tend to drop sediment for a long, long while. I just bottled & kegged my Malbec and there was still a lot of sediment in the carboy even after a year. I just checked my Amarone and I can see a bit in that one as well and it has only been aging since the end of January. As far as starting the kit, I live in the Tampa area and we keep the house between 70-75 year round so get another carboy so you can start those kits.
VPC
Is the sediment a problem even after using the clarifying agents? I ask because I know from another forum that some "winers" avoid putting any isinglass/chitosan in the wine if they are going to bulk-age for a year.

Yes the wine will continue to drop even after adding any clearing products. Don't forget you are using a grape pack so there are a lot of solids in the must.
VPC

vcasey said:
Yes the wine will continue to drop even after adding any clearing products. Don't forget you are using a grape pack so there are a lot of solids in the must.
VPC
Good to know. I plan to rack to a clean carboy at 6 weeks and let it settle for 7 more weeks. Do you think that will be enough time to drop all the sediment? If not, I can live with a bit in the bottle.

I think you will still have some sediment in the bottles. It will give it that homemade feel.
VPC

I just bottled the Red Mountain Cab 2 months ago after bulk aging for a year. All I can say is WoW! Fantastic! Now I'm planning on letting it age for another 8 months or so before its in the regular rotation. You will love this wine.

moto-girl said:
I just bottled the Red Mountain Cab 2 months ago after bulk aging for a year. All I can say is WoW! Fantastic! Now I'm planning on letting it age for another 8 months or so before its in the regular rotation. You will love this wine.
Excellent! I am so ready to get this wine started.

Actually maybe 76 degrees. The wines I have tried have been wonderful.

Latest posts

Back