Mosti Mondiale explosive fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mississippi mud

Reaction score
I made a vn Barolo last winter and it had an accident in primary on day3 it was running about 77 degrees soI moved it to the cellar (60 degrees) where it had its second accident. (by accident I mean blowing must out the air lock )now I am doing a vn Cabernet Franc thats headed the same direction at 68 degrees. I'm scared to close the lid down because thats when all heck broke loose last time. They both seem real thick which is good in the end. should Iput a couple gal.in another bucketor what? has anyone had this same problem? Both where filled to the first ridge on a 7.9 gal bucket. any suggestions?

You can just put the lid on with no airlock. That seems to help the first few days stay in contol some. You could put it in two pails or you could get a 10 gallon primary. And then you could try to ferment at just a bit cooler temps. Good luck with it. Hope she doesn't blow her top again!

Dont put the lid on tight, just rest it on there with no airlock. Just put a paper towel wher the airlock would go and if you can put something under the primary in case it does leak over the bucket. The only kit that has over thrown my 7.9 bucket was a beer. many others have come close though.

Anyone found a 10-gal primary with a spigot? Didn't see one on George's list.

Any primary that has a fairly flat side(even round-just not fluted)can be drilled using the correct type and size bit and use a spigot. I just use an auto-siphon myself.

damn I didn't mean to push the red button!!!thanks for the quick response. I'll go ahead and sanitize another bucket and move a gal. or so.Do moderators get a Christmas tip as well? I just read in the paper the mailman gets one, 20 bucks average. I though they had it made already.

OK I got that baby split into two 3 gal batches. thanks for the quick response I would have left it till morning and probable had another disaster on my hands. Its funny I can handle a lot of blood but two little drops of wine (especially must)and I get faint.

Do we get a tip, only when members mail them out! $20 works for me!
smiley36.gif

K&GB said:
Anyone found a 10-gal primary with a spigot? Didn't see one on George's list.

We have Italian Bottling Spigots [Item # 4885] on all our primary/bottling buckets...Love them and wouldn't do it any other way....They sure make life easy...

Jim drills a hole near the bottom of the bucket and installs them....never have had a leak or any problem with them.

I too use the spigots and love them. Ive had a little leak or 2 but never had to put my hand in there, just gave it a little twist on the outside and all was better. You just have to remember not to over tighten, hand tight snug, not twist your arm and force it.

Georg has the 10 gal. buckets item #'s 5120 &5121. I drill my own buckets with a 1 in.drill bit and then install my own spighot. Very easy to do.
HD93
smiley4.gif

I have obtained a couple from a restaurant, they were free too which made it even better and installled a spigot in them.

TheCabernet Franc has calmed down a lot. Back in the safety zone and purring along side a niceVN Gewürztraminer. Are most of you using 10gal primary buckets now?

I still use the 7.9 gallon bucket for almost all of the few kits I do now. I got a 10 gallon this fall, but haven't used it yeat for a kit.

I still use the 7.9gal. bucket....but have had some close calls with the VN kits..
smiley3.gif
.....the early racking has caused some heart stopping moments in the secondary too......

I am using the 7.9. Had one case where I thought it might erupt.That time Iput the cover on and put the airlock on without the inards. Thought the overflow would go out the top of the airlock and be contained on the top of the cover and the airlock grommet would prevent the overflowflowing back into thehole andpossibly contaminating the must.It didn't get that wild. It bubbled up into the airlock body but not over and settled right back down.

Latest posts

Back