Other Expiration dates

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kb3erv

Junior
Reaction score
In a wine kit how important is the best by date? I have 3 kits that are a couple weeks past this date that I have not started yet.

It's a fair question, but I wouldn't worry about it. In all likelihood, those kits will be fine, unless they've been stored in a hot (say greater than 76 degrees F) environment for a while or subjected to direct sunlight. Heat like that can ruin a kit pretty fast.

I once made a kit that was officially "expired" by over 2 years and it turned out great. All I had to do was replace the yeast, which had expired. Experienced makers of wine kits scour the internet to find expired kits, because they are usually discounted by the retailers.

Hope that helps.

KB, the way I look at it you have very little to lose, maybe a packet of yeast is all. When you open the juice, smell it for any off odors (musty, moldy, sour, oxidized, etc.) If it passes the sniff test, taste it. If there is no bad taste, make the kit and like Brant says, use a fresh packet of yeast. You probably have three good kits there. Good for you!

In a wine kit how important is the best by date? I have 3 kits that are a couple weeks past this date that I have not started yet.
My question is what does your date read? Each wine kit manufacturer has thier own coding for dating. All have the same idea what date was the kit made? RJS use a year month day system with a letter code on the end to determine the shift. Wine Expert goes by the number of days in the year and a number system to determine the shift. ETC. Each one is the actual date the kit was put in the box not the date of expiration.

Latest posts

Back