Other Expiration date/code? Vinters Harvest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intheswamp

Reaction score
South Alabama - The Enchanted Land of Humidity
There is a homebrew store that has some Vinter's Harvest wine base for sale on a "clearance" shelf...basically half price. Seems like a good deal but this is a new store that opened up where a previous homebrew store was located. I don't know whether this is NOS or freshly ordered. The new store has only been opened for 2-3 months now.

Is there an expiration on the cans? Date code? If a date code, how is it interpreted?

It seems like a good deal but I'd rather not invest the time and equipment to working with something that is past it's prime or even less than mediocre.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ok, I dropped by the store and the cans had a "Best by" date of August 2019 It may have been fine but figured it being three months past that date I'd pass
Depends on what you want to do with them. Doing some reading it seems there is no standard for this kind of thing and many times the company just use some industry formula and don't really do any testing of their own. I've thought of using some of the gallon jugs as 'fortification' during fermentation and freezing the unused portions or just vacuum seal the unused portions in canning jars.

They should be fine if you replace the chemicals (yeast, etc.)

Latest posts

Back