Experiment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derunner

Reaction score
Yesterday I racked 8 red wines that I started last May. most were very clear, it was hard to see more than just slim coating of lees if any. 2 had more noticeable amounts. I drained all of these nearly clear lees into a 1/2 gal jug which was just big enough to hold them. It will be interesting if this amounts to anything in a few weeks when it resettles. The batches were

3 Zinfandels
Chianti
Super Tuscan
Merlot
Malbec
Pinot Noir.

I did not try sampling it after combining, but all were tasting pretty well before racking.

derunner, sound like a pretty busy day. Just out of curiosity, what size of bungs are you using for you 1/2 gallon jugs and where did you get them? I was given two 1/2 gallon jugs that I ended carving/butchering regular-sized bungs to fit to them. (rubber bungs are bugger to cut!)The bungs don't fit well so I have to tape it down and wrap it around the carboy neck to get it to stay. Has been working okay for now, but if there's something better for this size of jug, I would get it in a heartbeat!

Your local home brew store will almost certainly sell bungs, drilled for bubblers, that will fit anything from a 750 cc wine bottle to a 6 gallon carboy. A half gallon jug should not be a problem. I frequently use a half gallon glass milk bottle to hold excess wine that I use for topping up and I had no problem finding a suitable bung for that container.

I got a couple half gallon jugs with cider in them last fall so I don't know if it is the standard size. A normal bung for a glass 6 gal carboy worked, but barely fit in. It did hold a pressure on the s-type air lock so it is working. I stopped at my LHBS and they did not have another size.

Haven't had much luck with any of the retail stores in carrying any stoppers other than for 1, 3 or 6 gallon carboys. Good to know there are ones out there.

Thanks again! Sorry, didn't meant to hi-jack the post!!

I do something like that as well. "Tank bottoms" are a bit of a chuckle, but always surprisingly good. You just got to give it plenty of time for the lees to settle back down before you drink it.

coocroach, I use a number 6 1/2 stopper in my gallon and half gallon jugs. You can force a number 7 into the bottles but the slightly smaller size works well.

I have gallon jugs with two different size openings. I think some are the six and a half and some are smaller.
I call it dregs wine. I kept some for a year in a half full 3-quart jug and it was as good a wine as I've made. I used some for topping off and drank the rest.

Last edited:
Zinfandels + Chianti + Super Tuscan + Merlot + Malbec + Pinot Noir = ???

Wow! That might be the most complex red blend in history! What would you call it?

I would suggest either "Tank Bottoms" or "Dregs"

That's good, I was wondering what to label it if I bottle a couple bottles. I wrote 6 ladies on it for now, but I am not sure if wine is a he or she pronoun.

That's good, I was wondering what to label it if I bottle a couple bottles. I wrote 6 ladies on it for now, but I am not sure if wine is a he or she pronoun.

Actually, When I did this the last time, I put the resulting clear wine into competition. I called it "Duke's Dregs" because I felt "Tank Bottoms" would work against me. BTW, Duke is my dog.

Six ladies...I like the name...

six-ladies-christy-vitale.jpg

I finally opened that 1/2 gal of bottoms. My wife and I both agree it is very good.

Latest posts

Back