Experiment failed, what to do now

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sampvt

Senior member from Leeds UK.
Reaction score
A few months back I tried to make a full bodied wine which was stronger than normal. I added more concentrate and some sultanas and it ended up a very very full bodied dry white with an ABV of 14.5%. Now my wife said she prefers the light and fruity Sauvignon blanc I made before.

Its all done and dusted, cleared and aged, but it gets her squiffy too quick and she cant quaff it. Is there anyway I can dilute it back to a lighter wine at around the 11 to 12% mark and make it light and quaffable.

If you like the wine as-is, leave it be. Get an island mist kit for cheap, bump the body and ABV with some concentrate and simple sugar... Dump half the flavor pack in the primary and use the rest in the finish to back-sweeten to taste. You'll get an early drinking wine in pretty short order with about 11% ABV. Great for the dog days of summer.

Or find a softdrink or fruitjuice that blends well with the wine and add maybe 25% juice 75% wine. Will make the wine last longer too.

Pam in cinti

Great to make wine spritzer with add to a glass of wine some Sprite or 7-up and rim the glass with a twist of lemon then throw it in the glass of wine. Lemon, lime or orange.

You could simply add some bottled water to taste and go with it. What you did was concentrate it to get where you are, so you can undo it. You can add taturic acid to taste if it gets too flat in the process. None of these will cause a refermentation to start so you can enjoy it as you do it.

I like what cintipam and barbiek recommended or you could make a smaller batch of the same wine but make it lighter for her.

We've remedied some of our wines in the glass as others have suggested (add soda, simple syrup, etc), and that offers more choices since it's per glass. If you want to fix the whole batch, make another wine to blend with it. You could make a weaker wine to even it out, but then whatever you don't use is left over weak wine. Best bet is to make a standard wine, do bench trials, and blend, and enjoy both. Or the quick remedy is to buy cheap commercial wine to blend. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back