Excessive cane dieback

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vern

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished pruning, I found that the Marquette canes were weak in structure, light in weight, and gray in color. Had about 95% of cane dead. Vines were sprayed every 2 weeks. Local agronomist said not a spraying problem. Is there a lab that test for diseases or soil problems? I'm in Wisconsin. Thanks.

I don't know of a lab test. You can send leaf petiole to Penn State for testing. Best time is at bloom and at version. That test is a nutrient testing. Do you have a vineyard research group? Here in Virginia, we have the Virginia Tech Research Center that specializes in fruit and vineyard research and disease.

I had some die back but we had an extremely dry Spring and Summer, when the rain became steady in the Fall, we had new growth. All that new growth was killed back in the winter.

Any crown gall issues?

I don't know of a lab test. You can send leaf petiole to Penn State for testing. Best time is at bloom and at version. That test is a nutrient testing. Do you have a vineyard research group? Here in Virginia, we have the Virginia Tech Research Center that specializes in fruit and vineyard research and disease.

I had some die back but we had an extremely dry Spring and Summer, when the rain became steady in the Fall, we had new growth. All that new growth was killed back in the winter.

Any crown gall issues?
Had petiole last year, showed slight micro nutritional deficit. , using foliar spray this year. No crown gall seen.

How old are the vines? I'm not sure the life expectancy of Marquette. I know some hybrids suffer die back sooner than vinifera.

Are you sure they are dead? (I'm sure you looked) I had some grey canes on various hybrids that were green inside. No idea whether they will break bud...

The canes are alive for the first 6 inches then brown inside, buds are showing bud swell. It's mostly just the marquette that have this issue.

The canes are alive for the first 6 inches then brown inside, buds are showing bud swell. It's mostly just the marquette that have this issue.
That’s disturbing. Last winter was pretty mild, well within the limits for Marquette. In NE Wisconsin we had a very dry fall but winter arrived at the normal time and we didn’t have any “false spring” where it warmed too early. Did you water the vines well after harvest? I know some plants do better with fall watering to help them harden off but I wouldn’t expect much trouble with well established plants.

That’s disturbing. Last winter was pretty mild, well within the limits for Marquette. In NE Wisconsin we had a very dry fall but winter arrived at the normal time and we didn’t have any “false spring” where it warmed too early. Did you water the vines well after harvest? I know some plants do better with fall watering to help them harden off but I wouldn’t expect much trouble with well established plants.
You may have a point, the marquette are planted in a more Rocky soil. I think all will be ok as buds are swelling and vines are bleeding. Also the fall was dry.

Are you cane pruning or spur pruning? Did the canes harden off completely before the first killing frost?

H

Are you cane pruning or spur pruning? Did the canes harden off completely before the first killing frost?

H
Typically here the vines stop growing in mid September, growing tips fall off and plant stays green until freeze in early to mid October. Last year was typical. A friend has marquette also and his look a nice brown color. My petite pearl and verona look a lot better. I spur prune.

A lot of my Marquette canes looked like that also, i pruned them all off or back, my vines are also 6 years old and generally healthy. I pruned in february and my vines don’t usually start bud swell till May so I’ve got my fingers crossed

My buds are starting to swell. I'm confident that they are all good. However I sent samples to UW Madison for analysis. I keep you updated.

Received the report from UW Madison, test showed no disease that would cause dieback, only collestotrichum, which is a fruit rot. Indicated that it may be cold related. However we had a relatively mild winter.

This is very odd! In NE Wisconsin late summer and fall were very dry. I seem to remember it was quite warm into early November… then got cold in very short order. I wonder if the new canes didn’t harden off sufficiently. And yes winter was unremarkable… no extreme cold or unseasonably warm weather.

Back