Everclear to fortify a port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnT said:
Gregin: I understand your concern about diminishing the wine flavor.

I find, however, that if you add everclear, you add nothing in the way of flavor. From a flavor point of view, my thinking is that it would be no different than adding water.

Brandy, on the other hand, adds flavor. One that I like.

This is just my simple opinion. Others may disagree.

Thanks. I certainly respect your opinion and agree that brandy may give really nice flavors to the port. I think this discussion provides inspiration for some experimentation.

I think adding 40% brandy certainly can add brandy flavor. But you are adding a lot more water to the port than adding 95% everclear. The EC could keep the grape (or fruit) concentration in the wine from being washed out. And it isn't like adding water in terms of flavor. The added alcohol helps to extract mire flavors from the grape must. That being said, if I ever make port commercially I would try to source a quality high proof brandy from a distiller to fortify with in order to be as traditional as possible. That isn't an option for the home winemaker.

I think next year I will split a batch and make it two ways. Take half and stop fermentation half way through with EC. The other half will be fermented dry and fortified with 40% brandy. It may take a few years to get the results. But it would be interesting o compare the two methods with the same grapes.

Greg,

Good Idea to do a side-by-side.

I hear what you are saying, but still have to say that I prefer using brandy. Again, this is just my opinion. You are more then allowed to dis-agree with me.

johnT.

I am certainly not disagreeing. I don't know what I would prefer better. Hence the need to experiment. I am interested in a process as close to traditional as possible that a home winemaker can do.

Question on using charcoal to clean up the EC.. Does the filtering reduce the ABV?

Latest posts

Back