Ever had wine expand in carboy while bulking??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gekko4321

Reaction score
I am experiencing a weird phenomenon. I have been bulking a red for 6 months and recently added a 1/4 teaspoon k meta. I had about an inch clearance between the wine and the airlock. The next day the wine was up to the stopper and entering the airlock! I siphoned off back down to one inch and 3 days later same thing. What is happening here??? How is my wine 'growing'??

The wine expands like any liquid as it warms up. Also the k-meta creates a bit of gas which causes it to expand a bit. That is why I prefer airlocks on carboys for bulk age. It allows for some expansion and contraction as it sits there. Also weather systems can cause some fluctuation.

Fascinating. I thought maybe I had a 'magic' carboy that would yield me unlimited wine! ;)

The expansion of ethyl alcohol is really incredible at different (warmer) temps. Your carboys are warming up with the weather and taking up more volume than they did when they were at cooler temps.

Time to take a carboy (or two) sample!

Latest posts

Back