Erythorbic Acid and Food Starch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardy

Reaction score
Looking at Comstock brand canned fruits and the only "unnatural" ingredients are Erythorbic Acid (used to preserve color) and modified food starch. I looked up Erythorbic acid here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythorbic_acid and it looks fairly harmless to wine making but my real question would be how could/would you combat the starch? Pectic enzyme? Bentonite?

I was curious because I was thinking of using a can or 2 to increase the actual berry flavor after ferment... but I'm sure it could be used to ferment with.

modified food starch is a stabilizer in food products. it may inhibit fermentation...not real sure. good luck..let us know.

Would amylase digest it? If it did you could make a clear wine using the amylase treating the juice before you added it. WVMJ

Would amylase digest it? If it did you could make a clear wine using the amylase treating the juice before you added it. WVMJ

I'll have to look that up. I know I've seen it referenced here a few times but I'm not familiar with it.

Latest posts

Back