Cellar Craft Enzyme packet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randoneur

Reaction score
What does the enzyme packet do in my kit wine. This is a CC Showcase kit with a grape pack. Any problem if I omit using it?

What does the enzyme packet do in my kit wine. This is a CC Showcase kit with a grape pack. Any problem if I omit using it?

If you don't add it, in many cases (mine, as an example), the carboy will develop a milky ring on top of the wine. As you rack the wine, the ring will run down the sides and coat the whole insides of the carboy.

If you let the racked wine set for a couple of weeks in the new carboy, the ring will form again.

The enzyme packet, when added exactly when the instructions say, will eliminate this.

I have never made a kit but first why would you leave it out? If it's pectic enzyme it will assist the yeast to break down the sugars in the juice and help prevent a haze in your wine.

Do not add it with any sulfite. Allow 12 hours between the two.

I don't know if it is pectic enzyme or not. It is just labeled as "Enzyme". This enzyme pack only comes with kits that have a grape skin pack. I did not intend to leave it out.

It probably is pectic enzyme. It will break down the cell structure releasing the sugars from the grapes.

The enzyme is DEACTIVATED BY BENTONITE...........

Its purpose is to break down a white (protein) ring that forms on some CC Showcase kits with a grape pack.

Do not add it until you have racked off the gross lees (and thus the Bentonite)

I remember seeing that before about the bentonite. I did add it and will just give it a few more days in the carboy. Thanks.

Back