Elderflower champagne results

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegade.Rich

Often knows what he is talking about
Reaction score
Many of us have made elderflower champagnes. But, how are your results? What have you learned about how to make it better?

This year I made some with champagne yeast, Kept cool (10-15C). Modest addition of vinegar. Stirred in the flowers every couple of days (which would have allowed some oxygen in to encourage a stronger end fermentation). Put in last quarter of the nutrient at SG about 1.015. I bottled at SG 1.004 into 200ml glass bottles. SG at end was 0.997. Disgorging is a current pain! Trying without freezing necks, but think I need to do with freezing.

Tasted brut dry, fresh, floral.

The choice of bushes makes a significant difference. Often best smelling flowers make the best wine.

My wife and I love elderflower wine. I make it frequently but I am forced to use dried flowers rather than forage for fresh. One oz per gallon is good. I prefer my wine to be back sweetened rather than brut dry and mine is still and not sparkling. I wouldn't dream of using champagne yeast. Far too vigorous. I tend to use 71B. Typically, I need to add a little acid and some tannin before bottling. I have three gallons that I started about a month ago and I am not yet ready to bottle.

Many of us have made elderflower champagnes. But, how are your results? What have you learned about how to make it better?

This year I made some with champagne yeast, Kept cool (10-15C). Modest addition of vinegar. Stirred in the flowers every couple of days (which would have allowed some oxygen in to encourage a stronger end fermentation). Put in last quarter of the nutrient at SG about 1.015. I bottled at SG 1.004 into 200ml glass bottles. SG at end was 0.997. Disgorging is a current pain! Trying without freezing necks, but think I need to do with freezing.

Tasted brut dry, fresh, floral.

The choice of bushes makes a significant difference. Often best smelling flowers make the best wine.
Haven't made any for years but this is what used. Boots used to sell their own brand years ago. They are quite good for short term keeping- long term no.
IMG_0437.JPG

Latest posts

Back