Elderberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenbean

Reaction score
I have my first batch of elderberry wine going right now and it smells like the woody part of the plant
smiley5.gif
. Is this normal? I have heard that it improves with age,but I'm still worried that it won't.

Chris

If you have included even a small amount of stems, it might be ruined. Maybe not.

Well I thought I got them all,but I might have not. I picked 3 lbs. of
berries by hand off of the stem. I hope that it isn't ruined.

Thanks for the reply

Chris

Greenbean, how did the elderberry wine turn out? I have some elderberry
plants and like you it didnt smell very good in the primary, I did get
most of the little stems out but a few may have slipped by.

Cracked Cork

Hi Cracked Cork

I dont know about Greenbean's Elderberry Wine but mine is really good, It is my first gallon batch,I made it i think in July 2005, I still have in in bulk ageing, I go and sneak a taste with a straw, Its pretty dang good

Harry
smiley32.gif

Harry,

What did you make your elderberry wine from? Dried fruit, canned?

I made it with fresh berries i had picked in the summer, There a pain in the butt to clean but so far they are worth it. still have 5 lbs in my freezer. I will StartAnother batchin about a week or so, When i get a carboy empty.

Harry

Take some photos if you can and share it. I'd love to see elderberry wine in action.
smiley1.gif

I've got a 3 gallon batch bulk aging right now myself. Just had a friend rack it for me the other day and he did a taste test. Says it tastes like a merlot right now. I made this one from I think Vintners Harvest cans.

Bob

Back