Elderberry wine and astringency

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never read anything about age of the plant making a difference - and I've read EVERYTHING I can find about elders.

20' tall?! Wow! The tallest I've seen are in the 10-12' range. I did find one elder in the middle of a junk pile that has taken on tree-like form. It's still only about 12'

I bet you're happy to have so many on your own property!!

haven't decided to do anything...only picked a few bags earlier in the season. we have several large "groves" and the area with the tallest ones are practically inaccessible...would need skeeter spray and snake boots, lol. just seemed like the clusters on the larger groves seemed thicker?
next year, if anyone wants to come pick, i'll let ya!

Re start Elderberry wine.

Hi Arne

Thanks for your reply. I did post the request in the fruit wines sections and BobF suggested that I try and restart using EC1118 which has a tolerance of 18% so will give that a go.

Never made elderberry before however I am very happy with the taste and I can see this becoming a firm favourite in the future. The last wine I made was rosehip and that turned out good too.

Thanks for your help
Rgds Glyn

Back